Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 615x heads were angle milled to 13.5 degrees and 3 step head studs were used by the previous owner. I will be running a lot of compression like 16.5, and am concerned about the sealing potential of these studs. If I can clearance the stud holes to fit 7/16 studs should I, or will I not have a problem with the step studs?? I am concerned about clearancing and getting close to the o-rings in the heads is why I am hesitant. Any input is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Run the step studs should be no problem I used them on a 15 degree engine with 15.6 and had no problem my gb2400 heds have 6 head bolt holes that are for the 7/16 to 3/8 step stud.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Yes, it's common, the Glidden SC1 heads for the SBF have 4 holes that are like that as well. I just ordered some for one of my customers. If you want, I have a blank stud form I can email you, and you can put your dimensions on it, and if ARP has something close, they will give you the part number for it and you can order them from any ARP dealer. They sell them individually, and they are usually around $10.00 a piece, depending on length, as long as they are a shelf part. If you want the form, pm me your email address and I will send it over.

·
Registered
27,956 Posts
All three of my center ones are step studs on my 23 degree SBC heads.

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
Yes, you will be fine. I have the same deal with my 615x heads, no problems. Most all the big valve, big bore heads are this way for sbc's.
I beleive we run a ARP#234-4721 on those and a few other heads, that take the same part number. Sould work just fine.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
As the guys said, you will be fine. I run them in the centers also, as some castings come std. with the 3/8 hole. Roll with it and let it eat..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts