Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I tried to buy a '16 ATS-V 6M Sedan from a localish Cadillac dealer. The car was listed at $39,900, and I offered $36,500. There were a few things I didn't like about the car that would have cost a little to correct. The salesman basically said the car industry doesn't work that way anymore and about the best they could do is about $500 off their asking price. They did offer $8750 for my '05 CTS-V, which I thought was fair. I haven't bought a car from a dealer in about 10 years and then I had insider help. Has the industry really changed that much on used cars? Is the price really the price?

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
a friend was looking at a 2011 Odyssey van for his daughter. He had me look at it to see what kind of shape it was in. It had 3 minor things it needed. New car dealership was going to take $ off so he could fix it.This was in Ohio. Birdtracker

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
My buddy bought a ATS V this week. I have learned two things from my last car purchase in Nov when I bought the RCF. 1. They won't budge much on a certified car. 2. Never tell them in advance you are showing up with your own financing. It's the same as paying with cash and they can't make any money from the financing. I told them to "un-certify" the car and they said no. I didn't want to be forced to pay for an extended. Bunch of pricks at Lexus of Orlando. I drove to Jacksonville bought a better car, lower miles, with extras for $500 less than they were selling their's. Dealers have room to play. They new the demand for that model and refuse to lower the price.

·
Son of Mr. David-get it ?
15,977 Posts
Yesterday I tried to buy a '16 ATS-V 6M Sedan from a localish Cadillac dealer. The car was listed at $39,900, and I offered $36,500. There were a few things I didn't like about the car that would have cost a little to correct. The salesman basically said the car industry doesn't work that way anymore and about the best they could do is about $500 off their asking price. They did offer $8750 for my '05 CTS-V, which I thought was fair. I haven't bought a car from a dealer in about 10 years and then I had insider help. Has the industry really changed that much on used cars? Is the price really the price?
Sounds like they are basically saying...

" I know what I have. Don't low ball me "

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My buddy bought a ATS V this week. I have learned two things from my last car purchase in Nov when I bought the RCF. 1. They won't budge much on a certified car. 2. Never tell them in advance you are showing up with your own financing. It's the same as paying with cash and they can't make any money from the financing. I told them to "un-certify" the car and they said no. I didn't want to be forced to pay for an extended. Bunch of pricks at Lexus of Orlando. I drove to Jacksonville bought a better car, lower miles, with extras for $500 less than they were selling their's. Dealers have room to play. They new the demand for that model and refuse to lower the price.
I don't need to finance much of this purchase but do understand that is one of they ways they make money. They came through with a good rate of 2.99%. The document fee was $400 which seems WAY high.

My brother and wife have been pushing me to do something nice for myself. I really put off a lot of things I wanted to educate my children who are now on their own. The way I see it, I've got time since there will be new ATS-V's on dealer lots for a little longer. Nice ones will be coming off lease for next 3 years or so. I want a manual trans which is probably 1 in 15 cars, so I may have to travel to get what I want. The warranty isn't that important to me. I'd like to build this car some, and have a great hook-up on GM parts.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
There is one dealer around here that doesn't negotiate on any of their used cars - they flat out do not and tell you to go on autotrader and look at other ones that are the same trim, mileage etc and you'll see its the best price - and theirs is, the others have 2-3K on them to play around with while theirs doesn't. What are other ATS-V's going for with the same mileage?

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
My hometown all prices are high.
Too few families own the town automotive wise. We can drive 2 to 5 hours away and save 2 to 5 grand easily.

·
Registered
308 Posts
All the stealerships are the same. Went to buy a used 2017 Honda Pilot for the wife, we went back and forth on the price and they ended up giving me $1000 off, but said I had to finance it at the 6.99 Finance rate, said no problem, picked up the truck and paid it off after the first payment. Sales guy called me after the finance company notified them the truck was paid off, he was pissed because he said they his manager lost the kick back. Told him to fack off and said if you sleaze balls would treat customers better people wouldn't have to find a way to save a buck.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
2. Never tell them in advance you are showing up with your own financing. It's the same as paying with cash and they can't make any money from the financing.

That is the truth, the dealership was pissed when I got the price down 2k and then asked for a purchasing contract to lock in the price. The look on their face was priceless, they didn't want to sell me the car at first. I had to put a 1k down payment on it on the spot to secure it.

All the while they kept telling me if they would have completed the financing i could have gotten a better deal. LOL

·
Registered
183 Posts
A local dealer told me they have a computer program that tracks auction prices. They have the ability to change used car prices hourly.

·
Registered
46,835 Posts
The internet has changed the business, dealer pricing is tighter these days because the competition's cars are listed right on the same page at listing sights (cargurus, autotrader) and so on, therefore taking the haggling down to a bare minimum.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
All the stealerships are the same. Went to buy a used 2017 Honda Pilot for the wife, we went back and forth on the price and they ended up giving me $1000 off, but said I had to finance it at the 6.99 Finance rate, said no problem, picked up the truck and paid it off after the first payment. Sales guy called me after the finance company notified them the truck was paid off, he was pissed because he said they his manager lost the kick back. Told him to fack off and said if you sleaze balls would treat customers better people wouldn't have to find a way to save a buck.
I would have told him the same thing, after I asked him how much of the kick back I was getting. Phuck him and his kick back.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
I have bought a few cars in the past 12 months. I shopped around and traveled. I got an escalade with lower miles and a year newer for 5k less than a local dealer that said that is the price we don’t work that way anymore. Sometimes on used you have to travel to get your deal.

·
Premium Member
49,715 Posts
So, you like the deal they are making on your car but not the deal on their car.

Simple solution.....

Go find that same car for less and get nearly nothing for yours.

You can't have your cake and eat it too in the retail automobile world. You need to take the good with the bad and average it out.

You're welcome.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I would have told him the same thing, after I asked him how much of the kick back I was getting. Phuck him and his kick back.
I found another I'm interested in buying for less than the offer I made on the first car. They offer $1000 extra off if you finance through them. As long as they can match the rate I can get locally without extra fee's, I'd be willing to go through them.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts