Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

We don't know much about it but it looks quality. We aren't married to it in no way at all. Is it a quality item keep it or is it old school ditch it for a belt drive?

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Seen quite a few guys use them (not me), must work OK....But for my money, put a Jesel on & call it done. They've got that game figured out. Simple, nice to work with, etc., etc.,......

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
Already got it. Already installed. Leave it be and spend 1200 bucks elsewhere.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
I will tell you what I was told. No gear drive, it creates harmonics in the valve train. I went with a Jesel. They say it dampens harmonics.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Please, use a belt drive. If it's out of your budget, go with a good chain drive. The gear drive actually relates harmonics from the valve train to mainly the front main bearing. This in itself is not detrimental. The big problem is, the extreme heat created by a gear drive & housed in by its cover, where a belt drive exhibits almost no heat & is isolated from the block by its cover. Just trying to save you future problems. Hope this helps. PS: Especially not with an aluminum block.

·
Registered
105 Posts
The gear drive you have installed (looks like a wesmar/shaver gear drive), is used widely by most sprint car teams, winged or non winged (all aluminum 410 cubic engines and sprint cars that utilize smaller cubic inches too). Probally the best gear drive made, sprint cars do more racing miles on a weekend than most drag racers do in a YEAR. This style of gear drive goes many years in a sprint car engine. Sprint car engines do not utilize a harmonic balancer (but do have a water pump installed in that location) and with utilizing that style of gear drive, they go many miles. In my opinion if you wish to use a gear drive, you have the one to use. Its your choice to pick what to utilize a gear drive, chain or belt.

·
Registered
471 Posts
HP410, we also utilized this gear drive on super modifieds, 18" offset engine stuff, big blocks with a lot more cubic inches & they worked fine. The difference is, drag engines have brutal valve spring pressures; 350 LBS on the seat & a 1,000 over the nose is not unusual. The resistance created on the top gear is where the excessive heat comes in.

The gear drive you have installed (looks like a wesmar/shaver gear drive), is used widely by most sprint car teams, winged or non winged (all aluminum 410 cubic engines and sprint cars that utilize smaller cubic inches too). Probally the best gear drive made, sprint cars do more racing miles on a weekend than most drag racers do in a YEAR. This style of gear drive goes many years in a sprint car engine. Sprint car engines do not utilize a harmonic balancer (but do have a water pump installed in that location) and with utilizing that style of gear drive, they go many miles. In my opinion if you wish to use a gear drive, you have the one to use. Its your choice to pick what to utilize a gear drive, chain or belt.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the responses! Like everyone I am on a budget but will likely buy a belt for it. I figured it was a quality unit as far as I can see the engine had the best for the time it was built.
This was a 410 sprint motor. We are doing a piston and cam swap on to use with a turbo on alcohol.
Any of you guys know these old blocks very well? I am thinking of doing a short fill Blockhard on it for some added strenghth? It may not be the best for the applaction but we have it so its getting used till it dies. :)

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
I run a gear drive on my 600 inch motor in my draster with NO ISSUES AT ALL. I've ran that style on both race and street cars for longer than I can remember and not once did I have even one valve train problem. You've got it, run it. Save the money and spend it elsewhere.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
Rodeck is pretty damn beefy block. It is a removeable sleeve block like the big block version is right? If so i would say dont do it.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Rodeck is pretty damn beefy block. It is a removeable sleeve block like the big block version is right? If so i would say dont do it.
It does have removeable sleeves.

·
Addicted To Nitrous!
3,372 Posts
Looks like a Wesmar/Shaver drive. I have been using one for 4 years now with 950+lift and 1200lb open spring pressure with no problems. It is a bitch to degree though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts