Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a tube chassis car (w/ full cage certified to 8.50et ) with a thick alum front plate, a .090 steel midplate is it advisable to use a solid trans mount like the Moroso piece, is a polyurethane mount ok, or as TCI stresses in their catalog ... "never use a solid trans mount".
Engine will be a BB Chevy mated to a TH400 trans w/a brake.

·
Registered
6,633 Posts
NEVER, EVER!! Some may get away with one, just not worth breaking cases to try. Poly or rubber will work for you.

·
Registered
15,444 Posts
Yeah I always wondered if the companies that make the solid mounts are sponsored by a conglomerate of trans housing manufacturers:rolleyes:

·
T/S 368E
33,585 Posts

We've had this exact thread several times, and very recently. Some of us use the solid mount as the engine limiter.
Mine is a tube chassis, but not certed to 8.50 (I'm 6.00) Been using solid mount since '94, and been pretty quick with zero breakage.
It's been some like, some don't. Good luck.

·
Banned
71,969 Posts
Ran tube chassis Beretta for 12 years and car was run much before that. Front/rear plates and solid trans mount that was removable. Held in place by two quick pins. Never a broken glide tailshaft housing.

The key thing is that if the chassis is not gusseted properly with diagonals and it twists, this is what mostly will break transmissions housings/cases. If your car has any chassis twist to it, install a polyeurethane mount.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts