Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting started with the bodywork on my 79 TA. I am getting to the point of prepping the front and rear bumper covers. I have been using two part epoxy primer on everything. Is there an flex additive I should be using with the primer and paint? I have the bumper covers and wheel spats to prep. Thanks in advance

JT

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What epoxy are you using? PPG DP epoxy with the 401LF Hardner is the first thing that should touch the bumper
I’m using a brand called matrix and they have two I’ve been using. One is a high build. I have also read something about an adhesion promoter to use prior to the first coat. I asked about a flex agent, by not addressing that part of the question are you implying it is not nessesary?

Thanks
JT

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
I know Matrix, not familiar with using their epoxy. But Matrix knocks off PPG, I know they have paint toners that will intermix with Deltron. So maybe their epoxy is a knock off? I don't know? With PPG DP if you use the 401LF hardner, not the 402LF, it is ready to go as mixed. I guess you could use a Bulldog first, but not necessary

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
I know Matrix, not familiar with using their epoxy. But Matrix knocks off PPG, I know they have paint toners that will intermix with Deltron. So maybe their epoxy is a knock off? I don't know? With PPG DP if you use the 401LF hardner, not the 402LF, it is ready to go as mixed. I guess you could use a Bulldog first, but not necessary
I heard from bulldog that its adhesion promotor is being pulled off the shelf or has now changed and or already removed...?

Interesting info, do you know if Matrix base is any good or a PPG low line equivalent, Ive never used it. Is Matrix clear in the same boat or very low line, curious for quick small repairs?

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I heard from bulldog that its adhesion promotor is being pulled off the shelf or has now changed and or already removed...?

Interesting info, do you know if Matrix base is any good or a PPG low line equivalent, Ive never used it. Is Matrix clear in the same boat or very low line, curious for quick small repairs?
Here is how different what is, and what really is can be. I believed that the MP4 2K was an epoxy primer, but it is not. It is stated to be direct to metal in the TDS, but not epoxy. I used that as the base in bare metal after stripping the Spirit, and the did all the small filler repairs after that. The AMC in my avatar was done by the fall of ‘14, and no problems. I’m pretty good at bodywork, but not as knowledge about the materials, hence why i’m here. Always straight answers here. So to answers your question I am happy with the Matrix product, and even though I misused the product it has held up. The car is in the trailer 98% of the time so maybe that helps. The MP4 2K is geared for small spot repairs. I used their clear when it came time to paint the car and from what I can tell it worked out great.

I did score some of the Bulldog at the local supply store. Not sure of the vintage. Also picked an Epoxy primer by Axis that they sell. I have used some of their other products with good results, but as I stated above, I don’t do a lot of it so I don’t have a lot to compare to. The local shop I go to does not seem to cater to higher end shops but they have good prices and a lot of local guys get there stuff from them for their own projects. They treat DIYers good.

My second job at 16 was in a body shop behind the gas station I worked at. I have loved doing it ever since. I did the bodywork on the AMC and had a cheap enamel job done in 86. Then did the prep work and had a BC/CC job around 2000. I made a cowl hood for it and ended up stripping the whole car and redoing it when it came time to paint it which I did for the first time ever with a GM silver metallic called Switchblade.

Thanks for the help

JT

1 - 7 of 7 Posts