Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just upgraded an old HP Elitebook to an SSD and also did an upgrade from windows 7 to 10 and found out its still free, they just aren't advertising it. I doubt it'll be like this forever and since support for 7 ends in 2 days, you might want to take advantage of it while you can

The link

·
Registered
552 Posts
Yup, I did a Windows 10 upgrade on a Compaq CQ56 laptop that had Win 7 on it for a friend last weekend and when it connected to the internet it was activated right away, NO CHARGE OR HASSLE!! Just keep in mind though that sooner or later there's going to be a monthly cost to continue using Windowz 10 just like it is with Office 365 now, ie, last time I checked Microsoft Office 365 cost was right around $6 a month for the lease.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
When they recommend backing up your files...what files are important to backup?
Documents, pictures, program files?
I was just given a computer with Win 7 Pro on it.
I took the hard drive from my old computer, that lost the power supply, and installed it in the new computer.
My old hardrive is the D drive.
If I upgrade to Win 10 it will install on the C drive.
Do I have to worry about any program files that are on the C drive?

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its free, I've used it twice since last Thursday. About backing up files, I wouldn't back up anything and just install 10. After its installed it keeps 7 on your HDD/SSD and you'll have to go into that drive and delete "windows old". It uses like 5-6 gigs of space. Then if you want do a back up.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
My C drive is using 136GB.
Hard drive is 1TB.
I can get a 256GB flash drive for $25.00.
Would you recommend I get this flash drive and backup my whole C drive to it?

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Go buy an SSD and a sat to USB cable. Plug the USB into the computer and the sat to the new SSD. Use the free minitool shadowmaker program to copy everything from the hard drive to the ssd. Then just swap them out, itll make it run super fast.

·
Smuck
3,790 Posts
I have done about 30 machines, haven't run into any issues.

Download is available here.

If your Windows 7 activation is legit nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
4,509 Posts
Ok, I know very little about computers,old fart. My laptop is old,probably Windows 7 at least,maybe older,i don't know. What happens if I don't up grade? I just use the computer for getting on the internet, and storing pictures.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, I know very little about computers,old fart. My laptop is old,probably Windows 7 at least,maybe older,i don't know. What happens if I don't up grade? I just use the computer for getting on the internet, and storing pictures.
Windows 7 will become a virus and spam infested shithole. 10 is good, upgrade for free while you can. It's a do it now or do it later type thing. Windows 11 is supposedly around the corner too, might be able to get it for free too if you're coming from 10. Or it's just a huge update to 10 like your phone updates are.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I did an update to my laptop and desktop last weekend. Copied down to a flash drive. Installed choose upgrade so old file will not be touched. takes about a little over an hour. both my machines have 500 GB HDs

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
I switched my desktop from 7 to 10. I bought a Win 10 pro key off ebay for a couple dollars and registered the copy on my machine just in case.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Love 7 Pro. Rock solid, stable, and intuitive. My problem with upgrading is losing the media center. I use that for music, recording, playing, etc.
What do Window's 10 users use?

:unsure:

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
I have done about 30 machines, haven't run into any issues.

Download is available here.

If your Windows 7 activation is legit nothing to worry about.
Just updated to Windows 10 using this link, seems all went well. Didn't back up anything and didn't lose anything. Only problem, adjusting volume pops up a gamer volume screen that I can't figure out how to stop. Any clues?

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Well, I tried the update from 7 to 10.
Got about an hour into it and got an error message.
I read about the error and ran one supposed fix.
I will try again.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts