Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
7,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m sure we’ve all thought of doing something stupid with a car, I know I have, but what about you guys?
My stupidest thought (not race related) happened when I started thinking about my old Jeep YJ which I rarely drive-mostly because it rides like crap, gets horrible mileage, and has some decent frame rust, but I do drive it and the kids LOVE it. So I was thinking about doing a frame swap to maybe a rwd Tacoma or something. I could get one cheap I’m sure and I know the fucker would be tough as nails, ride good, and get good mileage. Problem is, it’s stupid! I’m sure I’ll never do it, but thinking out loud here.....

·
Registered
4,532 Posts
My interest has always been what one magazine called "phantom cars"----------cars the manufacturers COULD HAVE built but didn't. They wouldn't be tough to build as the parts are readily available and now the cars are kind of cheap enough to buy that if the project bombed-out it's no real loss. SOme dealerships back in the day built some famous ones-----sbc Vegas, 401 Gremlins, etc. What others can you come up with?

·
Registered
5,162 Posts
ls swap a Chrysler k car

·
Registered
4,532 Posts
A 340 "k"car? Or a big-block Duster (ala 383 Dart) or perhaps a turbo-engine from a Neon in a Colt? IIRC Chrysler never offered a 440 in a Cordoba so years ago a friend & I put one in his. Ran GREAT & smoked quite a few Caddies, Monte Carlos & Crown Vics. And these are just Mopar ideas! There's some great potential out there!

·
Registered
761 Posts
Saw a late model hemi stuffed in a 90’s Lebanon convertible.

For the K car idea it may be somewhat easier to find the right sized rolling chassis with your favorite drivetrain combo and drop the K car body onto it. The larger unknown in this equation is the level of sanity of anyone who would do such a swap.

·
Registered
9,120 Posts
80s Chrysler 5th Avenue, complete with white walls, vinyl top and continental kit but with a turbo LS or 3rd gen hemi.

·
Registered
17,094 Posts
I would like to build a Cheetah. That’s my extreme bucket list car. A much more tame bucket list car for me is to simply buy a GTS Viper.

·
Jack Stand Racer
6,464 Posts
I have been looking at Disco Novas too... would like to do a Nova Shark... but put a Pontiac or Buick in it...

·
Pontiac "big block"
9,638 Posts
I have been looking at Disco Novas too... would like to do a Nova Shark... but put a Pontiac or Buick in it...
Why not start off with a Ventura or an Apollo? Or even an Omega?

It be cool to see one of them with a big inch engine from the same manufacturer.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I’m sure we’ve all thought of doing something stupid with a car, I know I have, but what about you guys?
My stupidest thought (not race related) happened when I started thinking about my old Jeep YJ which I rarely drive-mostly because it rides like crap, gets horrible mileage, and has some decent frame rust, but I do drive it and the kids LOVE it. So I was thinking about doing a frame swap to maybe a rwd Tacoma or something. I could get one cheap I’m sure and I know the fucker would be tough as nails, ride good, and get good mileage. Problem is, it’s stupid! I’m sure I’ll never do it, but thinking out loud here.....
Please don't ruin a YJ.
Eh, I started this 10 years ago and lost interest, have finished two other projects and a boat rebuild in the meantime.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Unusual? I started building a 57 Eldorado Brougham (1 of 400) with a roadster shop chassis, twin turbo LS, one off wheels, front and rear heat and a/c. Ended up having to sell it and have had no luck (so far) trying to buy it back a few years later.

·
Registered
7,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Eh, I started this 10 years ago and lost interest, have finished two other projects and a boat rebuild in the meantime.

Looks cool, what frame? I would give serious thought to buying that if it was for sale....and nearby

1 - 20 of 47 Posts