Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Sizeable Member
7,731 Posts
I know the default code on my cheap little LG phone was the last 4 of my phone number. I don't know anything about Blackberrys though.

·
Team CoRuPt
1,810 Posts
I'm assuming that you are looking to unlock the phone to use on another service. I suggest using http://www.globalunlockcodes.com/ . It's only $1.99. I have used it on about 10 different phones from different manufacturers on different networks. It says that they are instant, but typically I get the code within 24 hours. Anywhere from instant to 24 hours.

·
Registered
839 Posts
IT IS FREE.

The US is the only country where we have locked phones. probably because all phones here are sold at very discounted prices due to the contracts they get from you. In other countries there are no contracts. But you pay full price for the phones and they are not cheap compared to what we pay. Just look on Ebay. new style phones that sell with no contract are twice as much as phones with contracts.

but recently the cell companies were told they cannot lock your phone to a provider. But they do not advertise this.

Just call AT&T, tell them you will be traveling outside the country alot and want to use local cell services. can you please unlock my phone so I can use other company's SIMMs

They will send you code via email or text and you input it and BAM. unlocked phone.
At first they might ask you if you want to go on an International plan. I had that. It is still expensive. cheaper to use local SIMMs and pay for minutes

·
Registered
46 Posts
There's quite a bit of unlock info floating around on blackberryforums.com as well. One of their forum supporting vendors does BB unlocks for around $20-30.

·
Team CoRuPt
1,810 Posts
IT IS FREE.

The US is the only country where we have locked phones. probably because all phones here are sold at very discounted prices due to the contracts they get from you. In other countries there are no contracts. But you pay full price for the phones and they are not cheap compared to what we pay. Just look on Ebay. new style phones that sell with no contract are twice as much as phones with contracts.

but recently the cell companies were told they cannot lock your phone to a provider. But they do not advertise this.

Just call AT&T, tell them you will be traveling outside the country alot and want to use local cell services. can you please unlock my phone so I can use other company's SIMMs

They will send you code via email or text and you input it and BAM. unlocked phone.
At first they might ask you if you want to go on an International plan. I had that. It is still expensive. cheaper to use local SIMMs and pay for minutes

This is 100% correct. I'm assuming from the question that they are looking to use an AT&T Blackberry on another provider.

If you have a plan with any provider they must by law provide you with the unlock code. DO NOT PAY FOR THE CODE IF YOU HAVE SERVICE WITH THE PROVIDER. If they give you any shit tell them you want to speak to a supervisor and you know that by law they must provide you with the code. I've had the battle a few times and once they go back and speak with the supervisor they will gladly help you.

If you do not have a plan (Ebay phone or one that you purchased or got from someone else) that you would have to either purchase or find an algorithm that will unlock using the EMEI code OR simply purchase the code.

·
Team CoRuPt
1,810 Posts
There's quite a bit of unlock info floating around on blackberryforums.com as well. One of their forum supporting vendors does BB unlocks for around $20-30.
Why pay $20-$30 when you can pay $1.99? They are all using the same algorithm software to get you the code.

·
I have a liter of cola
7,101 Posts
They did all this locking pre-programmed crap to speed up sales. Plus back in the day some of the sales people weren't bright enough to figure out how to program them. There was a time when all phones worked on all systems. It was just a matter of programming the phone to the carrier.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the help. I really like AT&T alot. However, the last couple months I have been working on some projects in north east CO, right near the edge of earth. I am using some other carriers cell tower. AT&T said they are dropping me at the end of the month because of the high percentage of calls out of network.

·
Team CoRuPt
1,810 Posts
They did all this locking pre-programmed crap to speed up sales. Plus back in the day some of the sales people weren't bright enough to figure out how to program them. There was a time when all phones worked on all systems. It was just a matter of programming the phone to the carrier.

I remember those good old days... Just reprogram and you were done. Now its difficult because there are different settings for data and what not for each network. Analog was awesome and the service was actually much better. I remember making phone calls on the plane with our suitcase phone. Now if you get an unlocked phone you typically just have to program the settings which are easily found online for the internet and sometimes messaging. This also allows you to use 5.99 tzones internet when you are actually getting the high dollar internet on some phones when using Tmobile.

·
Team CoRuPt
1,810 Posts
Thanks for all the help. I really like AT&T alot. However, the last couple months I have been working on some projects in north east CO, right near the edge of earth. I am using some other carriers cell tower. AT&T said they are dropping me at the end of the month because of the high percentage of calls out of network.
Perfect, just call today and tell them that you are travelling abroad and need to use the phone with a different sim card from that country. They will unlock and then when they drop you, you can use it with another GSM carrier.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts