Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Banned
3,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sounds like somebody thinks the Index racers are made of money. Looks like NHRA in Div 2 just added Unleased 10, 11 and 12 second index classes to their Lucas Oil events. Wonder how the entry fees and payouts will match up?

You can go to an index race five out of six weekends starting the end of January. Bradenton Gainesville and SGMP

It is going to be interesting seeing 9.90 racers go down the track followed by 10.0 index racers.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I think there point is that people are tired of seeing throttle stop racing and want to see more heads up action. I know the schedule is not very friendly, but it's a start.

·
Registered
7,722 Posts
Read it's to help get the local non-electronic guys involved. The is the smartest thing I've seen NHRA do in 30 years...might just get a few folks interested in racing again. I can't be ready this year for the 12 index, but will look to make a few races next year!

·
Beer makes me pee
9,784 Posts
I would love to race in those events if they will bring them to TX. Index racing has been declining in our area due to poor payouts and general ho hum attitude on the tracks part. The last time we won we got 378 bucks. Something to shake things up would be great. And we dont have any problem running with no electronics often the little truck will run a 5.80 right off the trailer.....No throttle stop.

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
Sounds like somebody thinks the Index racers are made of money. Looks like NHRA in Div 2 just added Unleased 10, 11 and 12 second index classes to their Lucas Oil events. Wonder how the entry fees and payouts will match up?

You can go to an index race five out of six weekends starting the end of January. Bradenton Gainesville and SGMP

It is going to be interesting seeing 9.90 racers go down the track followed by 10.0 index racers.
AND AT ALL THE SHRA RACES THIS YEAR

·
It weighs how much????
1,629 Posts
The reason it wasn't announced before now is the division 2 awards banquet and track operaters meeting was this past weekend in Jax. I had discussed this with Don Robertson at the unleashed event at gainesville last November, and he said he wanted to pitch the idea to the other tracks on the possibility of adding it to the divisional events. Granted, all the final details aren't out yet, but I like it. Classes for the entry level racer without the throttle stop, delay box, blah blah. Plus, racing aide by side to the finish line instead of the launch, sit on a stop for multiple seconds, then full throttle again is confusing (read:boring) to some spectators.
Not trying to step on any toes, but sometimes a new idea isn't bad!

·
Registered
7,722 Posts
Not trying to step on any toes, but sometimes a new idea isn't bad!
Like I said, best idea NHRA has had in 30 years. It will allow the average guy like myself the opportunity to race on at the division level. As far as stepping on toes...somebody needs to do something for the local programs and division races. I spoke with my buddies at Sliver Dollar in Nov during a test session with my oldest son. They said it was hardly worth the effort to put a division race on any longer. Spectator count is pitiful and the amount of return on investment is hardly worth the return they see!

What makes it even harder, is I can't find anybody to talk to about media credentials to even cover these races!

·
EFI/N2O JUNKIE
17,778 Posts
I'd pay $100 for a shot at $1000, but all the Divisional races in NHRA Div 1 are $185 to enter, or were....... I think they may have increased. I'm not paying $185 (or more) for a shot at $1000.

Don't know their Index Rules. If no air/electric shifters, no air-operated or electrically-operated throttle stops, I'd be in. Mechanical throttle stop is fine with me. Nitrous wtih timers is just fine too.

·
Registered
326 Posts
All you guys paid about the same at the ORSCA events and didn't bitch about it. For a change NHRA is doing something to be pro active in some heads up racing and still a bunch of haters. Lets just face it some of you will never be happy over anything why can't we just race and go back to having fun for a change. Does anybody pay any of you to have fun on your boats or golfing or going to the movies with the family. Oooooopps I forgot some of you forgot why you got into the sport never mind.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts