Yellow Bullet Forums banner

321 - 340 of 361 Posts

·
Idiot Savant
164,432 Posts
and you? ever been in close quarters on the bridge of a ship underway?
observe how professional a ships bridge is?
how it is manned and operated?
how professional a Captain at sea is?
the protocols for disturbing the Captain, 24/7?

I can guarantee you this...…..NOTHING is any different between then and now!

Ever been on a carrier? You can social distance on that bridge. It ain't one of those little surfrider boats.

·
Idiot Savant
164,432 Posts
Don't know, would have to actually meet you and talk for a while before I concluded that, but it's your OCD that makes you want to be right all the time, and prove to everyone else that you are right...:) …………….the captain went about getting what he needed in the wrong way and will pay the price, whatever that turns out to be....as a captain of a nuclear powered aircraft carrier he has a few phone numbers in his rolodex, he should have made a few calls instead of sending out that email. Ok, we're done-next!!
He had two Admirals on the boat contradicting his authority.

He did what he had to do to protect his crew.....in my opinion.

·
Long Live The King
100,853 Posts
Already posted it. You're just so fucking cocksure of yourself that you didn't bother reading it.
Why would he take the time to read it? He hasn't read the original letter the Capt wrote.

·
Registered
8,946 Posts

I get looking out for the crew, can't argue that, but I just think a man in his position would have known a few different ways to go over the admirals' heads and get the right person/s notified (possibly still having chain of command issues eventually), but it would not have been public...

·
SMOKED IT
3,697 Posts

And you would be wrong again. He had one Admiral onboard. And his authority is at the discretion of his Battle Group Commander, which is the only one on board.

·
Long Live The King
100,853 Posts
I get looking out for the crew, can't argue that, but I just think a man in his position would have known a few different ways to go over the admirals' heads and get the right person/s notified (possibly still having chain of command issues eventually), but it would not have been public...
He sent it to some 20-30 people in the Navy. Who leaked it ?

Did he send it to anyone outside of the Navy ?

·
Registered
8,946 Posts
He sent it to some 20-30 people in the Navy. Who leaked it ?

Did he send it to anyone outside of the Navy ?
I wasn't clear, what I meant was he should have reached out on a personal level (phone) to someone he knows in DC and explained the situation. If the admiral found out he would still have chain of command issues but it would have been internal, the public would not have known of it... the leaker is a whole 'nother issue!

·
Registered
22,844 Posts
If memory serves...

The biggest issue with the Fritz, was that they didn’t have an assigned watch duty, or two, paying attention to what the fuck was going on with their eyes as they were in the middle of some very busy shipping lanes.

That’s like Rule number 1, correct ?
and, if they did not have the proper watch set, or were not properly trained? Whose responsibility is that?

standard bridge watch while underway, will have a starboard lookout, a port lookout, and a manned CIC center, which is located adjacent to the bridge, in addition the OOD has a receiver at his/hers disposal as well, counting the Bosun and the messenger, that is one helluva lot of eyes, and one helluva lot of sophisticated electronics...……………………..
the OOD was not competent to stand a watch, as demonstrated by her actions...………...the captain was not on the bridge, one of the lookouts was not even there, where the collision came from, lots of court martials resulted from this, and a bunch of sailors got killed and injured...……..the navy I was in, would never have seen such incompetence from the top to the bottom.

·
Long Live The King
100,853 Posts
and, if they did not have the proper watch set, or were not properly trained? Whose responsibility is that?

standard bridge watch while underway, will have a starboard lookout, a port lookout, and a manned CIC center, which is located adjacent to the bridge, in addition the OOD has a receiver at his/hers disposal as well, counting the Bosun and the messenger, that is one helluva lot of eyes, and one helluva lot of sophisticated electronics...……………………..
If memory serves the CIC center was operational, but for some reason ZERO EYES for lookout. In one of the most busy shipping lanes in the world.

Complete failure.

For some reason I'm thinking they were idle in the water, just sitting there, and the freighter was coming right at them and no one did anything. IIRC.,,, but that might have been the McCain ..... I'll have to look it up

·
Registered
22,844 Posts
If memory serves the CIC center was operational, but for some reason ZERO EYES for lookout. In one of the most busy shipping lanes in the world.

Complete failure.
Captains failure, then followed by the OOD's failure......Captain should have been on the bridge.

·
Idiot Savant
164,432 Posts
The result would have been the same. In the service, you go over the bosses head, you're fucked.

·
Idiot Savant
164,432 Posts
And you would be wrong again. He had one Admiral onboard. And his authority is at the discretion of his Battle Group Commander, which is the only one on board.
And you are wrong again. The was dealing with two Admirals, as is noted in the article that neither of you bothered to read. Both disagreed with his desire to quarantine the crew.

321 - 340 of 361 Posts