Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the title says... I have an 3.5" 0.114" wall thickness 6061-RT62 aluminum seamless drawn tube driveshaft that is in excellent condition and I want to upgrade from a 1330 to a 1350 u-joint on the rear of the shaft. What is the typical cost to do this and rebalance the assy?

I cant find a solid 1330 / 1350 hybrid, "solid" u-joint anywhere. And, after reading everything on here, I have decided that wasnt the best solution anyway.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Sounds like a visteon style shaft, you're going to have to visit your local driveline shop and they're going to have to machine a weld yoke to work with that tube, the aftermarket is at .065 .090 .110 and .125 visteon and aam like to play with the odd ball tubes to make issues and visteon doesn't have a dealer parts network, aam is a pita to deal with and spicer is what everyone else follows.

Many shops won't get involved with machining AL stuff and making it work, but thats your best bet.

What exactly are you doing as per hp weight and all that, maybe you can go back to the 1330 or even the 1330S which is the 1.125 cap

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The car weighs 3200 pounds and will run 10's. It's got a manual trans. I just replaced the pinion companion flange / coupler assy with a Strange pinion yoke. It requires a 1350 joint. If I could find a solid 1350/1330 joint, I'd be tempted to use that.

I may have DynoTech build me a shaft to suit my needs.

The existing shaft is a Ford Racing unit made by Nepeco (sp?)

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
ford racing is visteon, neapco never made 114 wall, visteon does, neapco and visteon were doing something together im not sure what happened with that now. neapco is all china now so im not sure what visteons role is over there.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ford racing is visteon, neapco never made 114 wall, visteon does, neapco and visteon were doing something together im not sure what happened with that now. neapco is all china now so im not sure what visteons role is over there.
I used the description from the Ford Racing website, but this driveshaft has a neapco drivelines label on it. the date of manufacture is 08/26/10. I post a pic as soon as it is hosted.

My local shop is going to charge me $170 +/- to cut, reweld, balance the shaft. He wants to get his hands on it to see exactly what he is working with. They will have it finished in a few hours. Hopefully, I will have it back this afternoon.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
UPDATE: I have the shaft back. I paid $165.74 for the modifcation. They happended to have a Neapco 1350 alum tube yoke in the shop (he told me he robbed it from a driveshaft kit). I got it back balanced and with a new Spicer 1350 U-Joint installed. Major Thumbs up for Drive Line Service of Altanta in Forset Park, GA for turning this around in less than a day! If you are in the Metro Atlanta area and you need some driveshaft work, give them a call 404-361-0475.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Then the shaft is .125 or .083, neapco doesn't make anything in the odd guage like visteon which it would be the odd 114 and have long style weld yokes, not sure who visteon uses for the tube either but neapco uses ADP and ALCOA tube which is what you have pictured.

Always better off with your local shop

1 - 9 of 9 Posts