Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
do you leave your cars in gear or in neutral?? I always leave mine in neutral because i was told it would ruin a set of planetary gears. is this true or a old tell??

·
Registered
129 Posts
I've been putting it in park ,then pulling ties tight ,front then back .I use stops for the front wheels ,been doing that for years .

·
Yellowbullet Overlord
27,554 Posts
I have always always thought this was a old wives tale. Will the rocking in the trailer really cause more wear then the abuse the trans sees on the track?

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
I put mine in Park and tighted it down like it's a criminal on a torture rack!

·
Registered
478 Posts
I'll usually snug the straps down in park so it stays put... then I'll pop it in neutral to crank the straps good and tight. That way it's not pulling on the parking pawl.
Once everything is cranked down tight, I pop it back into park.

If (God forbid) a car comes loose and rolls off the trailer... the LAST fucking thing I want it to do is free-wheel down the road in neutral with nobody behind the wheel.

At least if the car is in PARK, it will come to a stop quickly and by itself.

The biggest thing I notice... is towing in the rain, the straps will stretch/loosen to the point they will almost unhook themselves.

On a long trip, it's always a good idea to stop occasionally and go over the tie-downs to be safe.

·
Registered
708 Posts
nuetral is best..ring &pinion wear is affected too..(if in gear)
tie it down good, chocks, leave it in nuetral...not going anywhere (if tied,chocked good)

·
Grizzly
45,815 Posts
nuetral is best..ring &pinion wear is affected too..(if in gear)
tie it down good, chocks, leave it in nuetral...not going anywhere (if tied,chocked good)
Wow ,you guy's amaze me lmao it wears on tire's and u joints too he he he we have some rocket sciencetist here

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
x4 - or so. The parking pawl engages a component directly connected to the output shaft, before the planetary gear sets.
Just to reiterate/clarify this - the planetary gearset does not see any load when the transmission is put in park!! ;)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts