Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im new to this site aswell as to building engines (allthough im not building it myself), and seems like a very knowledgeable group. A lot of my search has bought me to this forum. Here is my build so far. i am using a LQ9 bored over.030 and stroked to 3.900. The crank will be lt8 forged, pistons are wiseco and rods are carillo. The heads i have for this specific build are ls7 small bore from mast (i was going to go NA originally but decided to go boost) My goal is to be around 1k hp. maybe a dual tune for street and track. I havent gotten that far yet. I went to order the cam and was told i need to determine what turbos to use. So far im looking in the 60/64 range. But am coming accross TONS of turbos all named the same but different manufacturers? Dont want to go super crazy expensive on the turbos but also dont want to replace them a few months in. Any recommendations? TIA

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I'd also suggest 66mm to 69mm turbos.
My 6.0 is a little lazy off the line on the street with s366s, which is what I wanted, but it spools up easy at the track.
Unless you're 100% committed to your block and have already purchased pistons, I'd try to score a standard 4.00" block if possible.
The 6.0s cylinder walls are known to crack, and keeping them as close to 4.00" as possible reduces the chances of having an issue.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'd also suggest 66mm to 69mm turbos.
My 6.0 is a little lazy off the line on the street with s366s, which is what I wanted, but it spools up easy at the track.
Unless you're 100% committed to your block and have already purchased pistons, I'd try to score a standard 4.00" block if possible.
The 6.0s cylinder walls are known to crack, and keeping them as close to 4.00" as possible reduces the chances of having an issue.
All is done already. bore and pistons. btw pistons were wrong by me the irst time, second time they sent me something completely different and third time i finally got the right damn pistons. been a hell of atime building this through shortages. about 1 month wait every time. I wasnt aware of the 6.0 iron block issues. if not ida left as is. i was told the over.30 was safe.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I thought the iron 6.0L blocks were okay but it was the aluminum units that were prone to cracking under high cylinder pressures?
That’s what I found online. I went iron block for that reason. Though I’m sure a sleeved ls2 would’ve done just fine. But right now they’re way too pricey. Hell I was able to source my block for 1k after a couple months of seeing them listed around 2-3k

·
Registered
74 Posts
And the 4l80? Has disappeared near me. Had a guy tell me he can “reserve” me one from his contacts at the parts yard.
The 4L80 is great but takes a lot of money to build and be reliable at high horsepower, its also massive in size physically.
I've got half that into my TH400 and it'll hold more reliably in my opinion, plus when it comes time a refresh I'll be into it for considerably less.
Plus most turbo cars like a gear ratio 3.50 and higher so an overdrive isn't really a deal breaker, again just my opinion.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The 4L80 is great but takes a lot of money to build and be reliable at high horsepower, its also massive in size physically.
I've got half that into my TH400 and it'll hold more reliably in my opinion, plus when it comes time a refresh I'll be into it for considerably less.
Plus most turbo cars like a gear ratio 3.50 and higher so an overdrive isn't really a deal breaker, again just my opinion.
I’ll be running 3.70 gears. How much can the th400 handle?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts