Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm buying a dart based 345" short block and I'm looking to upgrade my turbo setup. I've got a stock 302 with a master power t70 now that's been 9.80s @ 138 and I've been very happy with it. The new motor will have afr 205s on it and a hydraulic roller. The car is mostly a street car but I would like to run it in our local 275 class and some street car races. I would like to shoot for mid to high 8s in the 1/4 without pushing it too hard.

So my question is would I be better off adding another t70 or switching to a single like an s480 for my money? I've also considered putting a t4 76 on my current setup.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
ok i see for some reasone i was thinking that the company went under but people still have them on the shelf ..... so in that case whats your local rules on turbo cars ...

are twins allowed
also will your curent hot side support more power if you put on a larger turbo got pics of your set up

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The rules are pretty open ended. Just tires pretty much. The current hot side would have to be modified for a t6 sized turbo. I'll try to get a picture posted.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
with those cubes im wodering would a t4 base turbo run a number ..... what i would due is see if you could get a fresh set of t70s and use the one you have for a mock up and also a back up if one of the new ones went down .......if a single im sure you can salvage some of your old hot side to make a t6 work ..... twins will cause you to have to start from scratch and buy 2 of every thing. to me you can make the power you need to from twins or a single........it comes down to how you try to package it under the hood

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
t4 units
pte pt8847h 0.96 ar
pte 7475 0.81 or 0.91 ar
take a look at the specs for these turbos i found them used on the net may be worth a look

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is an old picture, but the turbo kit is still the same basically.

Please ignore the hideous wiring rats nest lol. It is no longer there.

1 5/8" headers, 2.5" crossover and a 3" downpipe

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Hell of a step up Beems. Congrats. I would think an S480 would be able to be fit to the existing kit without too much trouble/modifying. Then once you start to max it out you can have it changed over to an 88mm version. Twins are nice, but they can be a packaging pain some times.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It has a .96 on it but I also have a .68 sitting on the shelf. I was thinking the .68 will probably be better in a twin configuration so it spools decent.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
i think with the small .68s you will have traction issues or wheel standing issues i would like to see you in the 80s for your ar its a 1/4 mile car so you can let the car run out the back door and the mph should be nasty as well if you could 1.35 1.40 60ft game on

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
few questoins
whats your rear gear and tire size
whats the converter and trans set up
and will you be changing the cam

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
3.27 gear. 275/60/15 dr so 28" Th400 Trans and the converter is a tight art carr. I leave around 3500 rpm with the current setup on the two step. 1.42 60'. The cam is going to be a comp 282hr part # 35-522-8 at first. I know its not very optimal but its all I have to use for the time being.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
if it was me i would make your hot side work with a s475 s480..... save the money from going twins and get a cam..... you can run twins or a big single all you want you will be leaving a ton of power on the table ........worst case get some one to spec you a cam and get dough herbert to grind it for you .........they may be a lil off but i think it would be better than the comp ........i think with some time you can make the t6 turbo work..... also think about it you already have parts to work with and you dont have to buy much if you stick with the signle .......

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
the 302 has a custom ground Ed Curtis cam. I don't remember the exact specs but it was something like 228/232 567/576 on a 110 LSA. It was ground for an n/a combination with up to 125 hp of nitrous lol. But I've had it in the car for years and it didn't work out too bad with the turbo. Not bad for a stock short block!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.