Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for another will it work thread but I haved searched threads over and over and cant find the answers I'm looking for, so any help is appreciated.

First some background info,
86' Camaro 3400-3600lbs race ready 85% Strip 15% Street
MoTown 4-bolt block 406ci
Compstar crank and 6" rods
JE -28cc dish pistons
Dart Pro 1 230cc(slightly worked) 64cc chambers for right at 9:1
Comp solid roller .603/.603 (w/1.6 rocker) 236/[email protected] 115lsa
Super victor and a Brent Davis prepped 850 blow thru
AIS water meth kit
Glide w/1.80 straight cuts No converter yet but will most likely be a custom PTC
1 3/4 to 3" headers and 3.5" down pipes
I have 2 BW S480sx's T4 flange 1.10ar. (83mm turbine wheel I think)
My question is will this combo make enough power to get into the low 5's? And also how well will they spool with a 2/3 step and tb. If they will be laggy what is my best bet to help spool, not sure if they make .90ar T4 flange? Will they be slow to spool on the street? I'm hoping since there T4's it wont be too bad. If theres anything I forgot please just ask me. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
I was just inches away from doin' what you're thinkin' about, I talked to MikeTurbo and Dave at Majestic Turbo (username is turbodaves) and both told me that the spool would be late, 4800-5500rpm and lazy.
I had the opportunity to have a couple of custom turbines machined that woulda' been .80 A/R but, they woulda' cost $280/each. Dave made an excellent point when I mentioned this, he said that I would be married to a custom, one-off- type turbine housing and that if anything happened, I'd be screwed. You'd be better off sellin' the SX's, you'll get $900-1000 apiece for 'em. Look for a pair of T76's that you can find for the same or less and you can get shelf turbine housings for, enough of a selection of 'em that you can play with A/R's if needed also. I ended up with a pair of Innovative T76's, one from Maryland and one from (whoa!) Puerto Rico. You'll have better luck findin' Turbonetics or Garretts, I just got lucky on mine (they're Garrett CHRA's anyway). Hell, I think the brand freakin' new HP76's from Turbonetics are $998 each.
Sorry for the long post, I hope this is helpful info'! I'm halfway done with my own Motown 406, it's got a Comp solid roller with 236*@.050, got lucky on Ebay, as it's a Duttweiler custom stick, the dude just didn't mention it at all. Good luck with your build!

---==Temio Williams
Yuba City, CA

·
Registered
49,432 Posts
Sorry for another will it work thread but I haved searched threads over and over and cant find the answers I'm looking for, so any help is appreciated.

First some background info,
86' Camaro 3400-3600lbs race ready 85% Strip 15% Street
MoTown 4-bolt block 406ci
Compstar crank and 6" rods
JE -28cc dish pistons
Dart Pro 1 230cc(slightly worked) 64cc chambers for right at 9:1
Comp solid roller .603/.603 (w/1.6 rocker) 236/[email protected] 115lsa
Super victor and a Brent Davis prepped 850 blow thru
AIS water meth kit
Glide w/1.80 straight cuts No converter yet but will most likely be a custom PTC
1 3/4 to 3" headers and 3.5" down pipes
I have 2 BW S480sx's T4 flange 1.10ar. (83mm turbine wheel I think)
My question is will this combo make enough power to get into the low 5's? And also how well will they spool with a 2/3 step and tb. If they will be laggy what is my best bet to help spool, not sure if they make .90ar T4 flange? Will they be slow to spool on the street? I'm hoping since there T4's it wont be too bad. If theres anything I forgot please just ask me. Thanks for the help.
I don't think the camshaft will make enough RPM to work with those turbos. Aside from that I would think the .90 sized AR housing on the turbos would be a good move as well but keep the 1.10 for testing.

It can work. With the right RPM band/converter/turbine housing setup. If it does look the fuck out.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
justin...call forced inductions and talk to jose.he hooked me up with a nice one and imma have a sticker cut to help promote him around here.ya seen the video.she spools nice at 3200 rpm

·
Registered
49,432 Posts
Twin S400/S480's would probably want something in the 530+ cubic inch range to spool at a reasonable rpm.
I know a guy with a 331 spoolins twin billet 76's at 3800.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't think the camshaft will make enough RPM to work with those turbos. Aside from that I would think the .90 sized AR housing on the turbos would be a good move as well but keep the 1.10 for testing.

It can work. With the right RPM band/converter/turbine housing setup. If it does look the fuck out.
Ironically that cam was supposed to help spooling or at least thats what I was told. If I used a 100hp shot till 5-10lbs to leave would it run on out then or am I just fightin a loosing battle. What about this cam with a pair of TC-76's or TC-78's would this give me the resylts I'm looking for. Or just try it because there might be a chance it works. This really sucks since all my pipes are welded.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
I have a single T6 1.10 S480 on a 355sbc and can get 20psi at 4000rpm with the wastegate closed on the transbrake.

Since you have it, I would try it! I bet the converter will need to footbrake in the 3500-4000rpm range.

100 shot also helps a lot!

·
Registered
49,432 Posts
Ironically that cam was supposed to help spooling or at least thats what I was told. If I used a 100hp shot till 5-10lbs to leave would it run on out then or am I just fightin a loosing battle. What about this cam with a pair of TC-76's or TC-78's would this give me the resylts I'm looking for. Or just try it because there might be a chance it works. This really sucks since all my pipes are welded.
Give it a go but the engine is going to want to be in the 8000 rpm area for peak power at the lowest with that much compressor. I just don't see a 236 cam getting there. However the BW 480mm turbos have a wide compressor map so it will work. Just not optimally. Give them a go. If anything the hotsides are a bit small in reality but with such a low rpm ceiling " I think 7200rpm with the camshaft" you might have trouble using up the compressor.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Give it a go but the engine is going to want to be in the 8000 rpm area for peak power at the lowest with that much compressor. I just don't see a 236 cam getting there. However the BW 480mm turbos have a wide compressor map so it will work. Just not optimally. Give them a go. If anything the hotsides are a bit small in reality but with such a low rpm ceiling " I think 7200rpm with the camshaft" you might have trouble using up the compressor.
I think I will at least try it seems theres not many people using this combo maybe just needs to be worked on, not many people using rear mount turbo's either but a few that have them are flying.

Let me also ask this question...... If I cant get these to work right could I get some S400sx's with 72-75mm comp wheels and .90ar exh housings and make that work well? If so I could sell mine and get 2 of those and atleast they would bolt right back in place of what I have now. Hopefully I wouldn't end up loosing my ass between buying and selling and wouldnt lose money redoing my whole turbo kit. Thanks for all the help guys I really appreciate it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts