Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
48,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

How many of you old timers in SoCal know where this place is? It was once known as the Tustin Blimp Base and then later, the the El Toro Marine Corp Air Station. And in 1950, for about a year only, they held drag races there.

The structures themselves (there are two of them) are the largest wooden buildings ever built.

Shaped like two enormous pup tents and visible for miles, the giant twin hangars at the Tustin Marine Corps air base rise so high that clouds and fog form inside them. An architectural rarity, they stand as tall as an 18-story skyscraper and longer than three football fields.

Built in 1942 at a cost of $2 1/2 million each, they once housed helium-filled airships that cruised the coastline searching for enemy submarines during World War II. Because of the wartime shortage of steel, the hangars were built with alternate materials: They are the largest unsupported wooden structures in the world and can house six dirigibles each.

The base was decommissioned as a blimp base in 1949 and recommissioned two years later as the nation's first installation devoted to helicopters.

In 1987, the hangars were designated official National Historical Landmarks.

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
i remember tustin LTA base as i was stationed there and at MCAS el toro from 1981 to 84

·
Registered
13,485 Posts
them buildings are BIG...!!!!

some ran go kart race events INSIDE the building...

I was there once when inside the building it was RAINING...
and bright and sunny outside.

·
Registered
48,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
them buildings are BIG...!!!!

some ran go kart race events INSIDE the building...

I was there once when inside the building it was RAINING...
and bright and sunny outside.
I have been inside them for car shows. The buildings are so huge that they actually have their own "weather" inside.

·
Registered
13,485 Posts
THERE HAVE BEEN TALKS OF mulii use dragstrip and round track type stuff happening..

but there are budget and cost issues.

may need some outside help to talk to the commander or whoever is actually in charge.

·
Registered
48,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There has been alot of pressure by builders to tear down these two hangers over the years. I heard that they are converting (or going to convert) the area into a huge mall.

Some more photos:

Each of these eight WWII blimps were three times the size of the Goodyear blimp.

·
Registered
13,485 Posts
I thought that they were made into a historical monument so that that would slow the tide of tearing them down. the housing people will never let up and will probably persue the slow change for many years to come... houses will encroach never-the-less.

today, there are too many rich people that want no noise around there locally.

I remember when you could see the top of them from the TRACK

today, you can still see the warning lights at night on top of them.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts