Yellow Bullet Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
I'm curious how expensive they're going to end up being? I have to think they're going to be really expensive, which would keep the average turbo guy from switching over. Cool product if you're starting from scratch though.
Sure people seem to pay thousands for some boost controllers, that also require co2 bottles, multiple solenoids etc and still need mechanical gates on top of that.

So an electric gate/gates you simply control with your ecu, overall couldnt really be that much more expensive ?

Although it probably could lol

And reliability....
you hit the mail on the head! published MSRP is $1200 so they actually end up being quite a bargain considering everything you mentioned.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
My math isn’t adding up to the word bargain. If you can control these things with your ecu, you can control solenoids. Solenoids are cheap. A good boost controller and solenoids can yield data lines that are flat as a pancake. Granted gate position sensors aren’t free.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
speed and reliability will be whether these ultimately fail or succeed.

They've already mentioned water cooled housings....so yes some aspects may be more convenient...but now we may need to route water to them. Highly inconvenient.

And I wonder how fast it can actually open or close the valve.

It's a cool product though

·
Premium Member
1,315 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
speed and reliability will be whether these ultimately fail or succeed.

They've already mentioned water cooled housings....so yes some aspects may be more convenient...but now we may need to route water to them. Highly inconvenient.
Water cooling is only required for street, marine, or road course use.
Its NOT required for Drag Racing

·
Registered
196 Posts
Except many users may drag race and road use their car. Or 1/2 mile, or mile, etc etc.
And those multi-use cars should indeed hook it up.
Chances are the turbos would possibly also be water-cooled and then its easy to loop the gates in.
The gates themselves are not the issue, but we want to be overly protective of the electronic circuit-boards inside the gear-box.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Lets face it, very few run water through their turbos, and largely it's only the Garrett BB and BW EFR cores that are asking for water, hence why they would be in the minority, certainly for V8 twin applications.
And so the traditional pneumatic solution is totally reasonable for people that drive their cars a lot and dont want to plumb water. I dont think anyone is suggesting these are the perfect solution for every application.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts