Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks.

Dyno tuning a customer car at the shop with two things new to me.
Holley Dominator EFI and methanol fuel. It's non intercooled.

I've tuned a number of E85 cars both on the dyno and at the track with good results.
Kind of in uncharted territory here.

The Holley has been a challenge as I'm new to it. But it's going fine. In fact it's pretty cool. Totally diff from factory ECU tuning. GM and Dodge btw.

I researched methanol. Stoich is 6.4. Holley doesn't support Lambda tuning, so AFR it is.
Converted the tune from gas to meth, fired right up. Poking the Methanol fuel choice is puzzling as it did nothing to the fuel tables...….oh well.

Anyway, twin turbo LS. 220lb injectors, Holley brushless pump.

Starting on gate pressure. 6 psi.

Sadly, I don't know the engine specs. Neither does the owner.

I set the fueling to be 5 afr in boost trending to 4.5 afr at higher boost. At 6 psi it's 4.9.
Ballpark?

Timing I always start conservative. So 15 degrees. I bet that is way too low. Chassis dyno, first pull was pretty weak.
Sadly, and scary, right rear slick went flat that pull and my day was done.
We didn't build this car...….it's a bit rough.

So just looking for a smidge of advice on AFR and Timing as I progress.

And hoping the fumes don't kill me...….

Ron

·
Registered
669 Posts
Best advise I can give you is to look in the base cals that come with the holley. Look at the sbc 427ci methanol twin turbo file. It has a decent base of where you should start as far as commanded AFR and fuel flow numbers to input into the car. Timing is obviously a bit more sensitive with an LS combo so start safe there. Make sure the gain values are set reasonably in the closed loop control. Creep up on it....

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I'm going through same thing...
I'd be happy to share my tune if you want.
Currently mine is very happy at 22psi on the street. Zero traction....lol
PM me your email and I will send it over.
Cliffs notes...
6.0 with lsa heads, 9.25 compression
231/243 cam 115lsa
Single plane, non intercooled
19lb primary injectors on e85 and 220lb dekas on M1.
It's using about 1350 lbs/hr at 7500
Timing is safe at 18 degrees.
I'm targeting 9.8 afr at 22psi

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Best advise I can give you is to look in the base cals that come with the holley. Look at the sbc 427ci methanol twin turbo file. It has a decent base of where you should start as far as commanded AFR and fuel flow numbers to input into the car. Timing is obviously a bit more sensitive with an LS combo so start safe there. Make sure the gain values are set reasonably in the closed loop control. Creep up on it....
Thanks. I sort of dove right in with the "get it started" gas tune it came in with.
Appreciate it!

Ron

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cliffs notes...
231/243 cam 115lsa
You are still reading AFR on the gas scale?

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
Watch the duty cycle on those injectors as 220s will not get you real far on methanol.
Will need to get after the fuel pressure in my experience. No ic and anything over 900 on methanol means about 100 psi in my combo with nothing left over

·
OG Member since 9/7/06
16,817 Posts
Will need to get after the fuel pressure in my experience. No ic and anything over 900 on methanol means about 100 psi in my combo with nothing left over
Correct.
Mable was 90# and running out of pump & injector with 16 @ 120/160.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
You are still reading AFR on the gas scale?
Absolutely.
Sorry, I failed to mention that.
The plugs look good at this boost and timing and the tune tapers to 9.5 at 30psi.
I am running e85 on the primary side and those don't turn off, so I think my afrs will be a touch leaner than a 100% m1 setup.
I'm hoping 90psi base fuel pressure will get me in the mid to high 8s.....

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Info as I figured. Thanks. Just 6 psi so far. But I doubted the injector size vs power right away,
No fuel pressure sensor. No MAT sensor,
This is not a street car.
Thanks Darren! been awhile.
I'm pretty good at this shit, just sneaking up on this car.

Ron

·
Registered
16,330 Posts
Cliffs notes...
231/243 cam 115lsa
I did this in 2011 or so. 30lb Primary injectors running 93 octane, 220lb Siemens running other fuels. Using Methanol I ran mid 8's in my 3550lb Mustang at 165 mph. Pretty sure there was more there but I was just testing and never pushed it before switching back to race fuel in the secondary system. Ran 45psi base pressure but with gas fuel from the 30lb injectors I never ran out of injector.

Assuming you are running both sets of injectors under boost, you run make the primary injectors larger if you run out of flow on the 220lb Siemens. Methanol is great but I got tired of handling the drums of it, testing it and everything else. Now I just use pump E85 in the secondary system and the car has run 8.2x at 168 mph. If I switched to Methanol is would be slightly faster but I'm already capable of running below my car's 8.50 cage cert.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey, I'm not seeing that base file in Ver5.
What is it called? Their naming convention is non descriptive

·
Registered
669 Posts
Sorry it’s in the custom cal section, not the base cal section... it’s under the sbc folder ....

·
The Liquor Makes Me Think
2,850 Posts
I did this in 2011 or so. 30lb Primary injectors running 93 octane, 220lb Siemens running other fuels. Using Methanol I ran mid 8's in my 3550lb Mustang at 165 mph. Pretty sure there was more there but I was just testing and never pushed it before switching back to race fuel in the secondary system. Ran 45psi base pressure but with gas fuel from the 30lb injectors I never ran out of injector.

Assuming you are running both sets of injectors under boost, you run make the primary injectors larger if you run out of flow on the 220lb Siemens. Methanol is great but I got tired of handling the drums of it, testing it and everything else. Now I just use pump E85 in the secondary system and the car has run 8.2x at 168 mph. If I switched to Methanol is would be slightly faster but I'm already capable of running below my car's 8.50 cage cert.

You ran 165mph on a single set of 220s on meth?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry it’s in the custom cal section, not the base cal section... it’s under the sbc folder ....
Maybe for V4? I'm not seeing one under SBC. I've the latest Ver 5 build 110.
Anyway, found one under BBC. Way higher boost. And way richer than I'm commanding.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Follow up question concerning M1 shelf life.
Customer brought us a 5 gal pail...…that won't last two pulls.
So been using our 55 gal drum, but it's a few years old. Just opened last year though.
Bad idea? I'll get a new drum if so warranted.

Really trying hard to help this guy out. Very nice guy, and we enjoy our easy to get along with customers. :)

Ron

·
Registered
669 Posts
Maybe for V4? I'm not seeing one under SBC. I've the latest Ver 5 build 110.
Anyway, found one under BBC. Way higher boost. And way richer than I'm commanding.
Damn sorry man! My bad, I just looked again and it was a SBF file.... it’s called “427ci methanol twin turbo 40psi”

·
Registered
669 Posts
Btw if your gonna be at woodburn for the night of fire, drop by the pits and we can discuss plug readings and some further methanol tuning!

·
Registered
16,330 Posts
1 - 20 of 45 Posts