Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys.....i'm interested in doing a turbo setup & need to know what kind of sizing i should be looking for.

First off, the car is an '81 Z28 3550lbs with me in it. It's driven on the street as my "weekend warrior" etc....

400SBC Dart Little M
3.75" Callies
6.00" Eagle H Beams w/ L19 rod bolts
Diamond 8.3:1 custom pistons
AFR 210cc @ 67cc (gotta stick with these)
Super Victor
Going to be a CSU prepped CARB!!!
Custom cam, still dont know from who, opinions would be great

Anyhow this car like i said still drives on the street.

Just need to know what size of turbo i'm looking for. I'd like the car to run REAL GOOD on pump gas, and AMAZING on the race fuel. Looking for deep into the 9 sec territory.

Any suggestions would be great, also pointing in the directions for headers etc....

Thanks in advance

-Carm

·
Registered
811 Posts
Carm,

We've done a variety of turbo setups in F-Body's. It really depends on if you want to run a big single or twins. Stenod just finished two cars that are running deep nines in full street trim. One is a smaller 348CI motor with twin 60's. The other is a Ford block (forgive me, I forgot the size) that has a larger single turbo setup. I'm assuming that you are likely going to want to run a single so that you can possibly run it in a particular racing series, since twins are mostly not allowed on almost anything but outlaw cars.

A single Precision GT 42-76mm turbo would probably get you in the bottom 9's pretty easy. Without a ton of effort an 8 would be reasonable. The Mustang that Stenod put the 42-76 on runs consistent low 9's over 150, but he can't stand on it until we put a chute on it (he's been warned a few times, lol). However, you are going to have a little more fun doing a blow through setup on a carb versus the EFI setups that we typically run.

Anyway, those are a few thoughts. I would encourage you to give Joe a call at Stenod Performance 248 307 0056. I'm still getting a lot more photos up on the website at www.stenodperformance.com. Feel free to check out the videos and photos in the media section.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey thanks for the replies.

I've actually decided to go twin turbo & have ordered some MP T70's with a .69 hotside.

I'd like to run in the 9's at a realitively moderate boostlevel (10psi for you big gunners lol) and hopefully still on pump fuel....after that, we bump up the boost/timing/fuel

Thanks for the info,

-Carm

1 - 4 of 4 Posts