Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone here have experience with turbos and Big Block Buicks? I'm looking for a sizing recommendation for a friend on which A/R would work best on a PT106. I'm thinking a 1.32 A/R would work. Car will see weekend street miles and be driven to and from the track (local 1/8th mile). Shooting for 5.60 - 5.70's @ 125mph range in the 1/8th.

What do you guys think?

4.350 Bore x 3.90 Stroke (464 ci)
8.5 - 9.0 compression
TA Performance Stage 4 heads (ported)
295cfm @ .400" and 370cfm @ .650" intake
205cfm @ .400" and 265cfm @ .650" exhaust
Cam will be a solid roller in the 240* - 250* range with .650" lift
Redline in the 6800rpm to 7000rpm range

'71 Buick Skylark (A-Body) 3700ish lbs
T400
3.50 Gear

Secondly, who has the best pricing on a new or very slightly used unit?

·
الكتاب ا
6,697 Posts
With those engine specs, and the fact that it will be 1/8th mile and street duty, I would put the 1.00 housing on it. The turbine wheel on those PT106 units is "clipped" so it will still flow well. Combine that setup with the TH400 and you'll have a nice amount of grunt to push 3700# rather well...It should reach your goal easily.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am new to this whole turbocharging deal so why the 1.00 housing versus the 1.32? Appreciate the info. I am the guy with the Buick and am used to supercharging.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I'm agreeing with Coupe on this one. The 464 you've listed is a small stroke, big bore combo. Usually the turbo engines like it the other way around as the big stroke helps make some air velocity. The big bore would work better if it were given more RPM, but 7K isn't a lot for an PT106 type combo. The heads probably flow good for a Buick, but compared to the newer SBC, BBC, and SBF designs they are a bit behind. The 1.32 hsg would help you more out the back door on the 1/4 mile, but with the 1/8th mile I think you'd be better off having it be a little easier to spool.

- Brian

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
For a 464 Buick shooting for 5.5's, you really only need something in the 94-98mm range. Easier to spool then a 106 and plenty of power to get those ET's and mph.

·
Registered
49,442 Posts
I don't think I would lean on a factory buick block that hard. I have seen a few NA buick motors dance the caps in the 9.50 zone.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't think I would lean on a factory buick block that hard. I have seen a few NA buick motors dance the caps in the 9.50 zone.
Yeah, he's going to lighten everything up as much as he can and keep his fingers crossed. He had a Vortech YSI on his last two BBB street engines and they lasted for several years. He ran 10 teens in the 1/4 and it was regularly street driven. We'll see what an extra 200 - 300 hp will do :rolleyes:

The Buick aftermarket blocks are starting production now. Too bad it's only available in aluminum because it's kind of pricey at $6k.

Thanks for the input guys! He purchased his turbo this afternoon. He ordered a PT91.5mm, G trim, with a 1.32 A/R after speaking to someone at Precision. I guess the PT106 was just too big for what he wanted to do.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts