Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have been thinking about going turbo, NOS now, not very happy with it. Motor is 477 cid BBC 4.5 bore 3.75 stroke 18* big duke heads. What size turbo could or should I be thinking about? Can't run twins against local rules. Also want to run on alc. blow thur like Bill Lutz. Car is outlaw 10.5 weights 3050 now and has a PG. Any info would be great . Thanks Mark

·
Administrator
136,346 Posts
If you do not have any restrictions on turbo size you might as well build one with a 106. Give Brian and PTE a call or maybe he will post a response here for you.. :D

·
Registered
5,093 Posts
Mark, I know what you mean. I'm looking at the same thing right now. Single 106 with a 499 BBc. 4.607 bore, Pontiac heads, single 4. Looking at the turbo for a totally different idea than what MOST people would thing about, IT'S CHEAPER. I need a new carb anyway, plus a Nitrous system (fogger, and here there going for about 3 grand). The way I see it, switch to Alky and maint. is less, and hopefully not as many pistons, Carbs are about 10 to 15% more, but bought the turbo with 7 runs on it of a Mustang guy with wastegate for less than the fogger system. So with Alky here in Canada being about $150.00 for a 45 gal. drum compared to 7??.00 and change for race gas, PLUS bottle fills. by then end of the year I will have spent less, and more than likely be faster. Motor was able to show the "YELLOW BULLET" the tail light on ALL BUT one time whan it was a Nitrous motor, right Monty.
Where are you from, area 8)

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guy's, I'd love to here more about this. I wish i had unlimited funds to keep up with the spray but I don't so this has to be cheaper in the long run. Maybe?

·
Super Moderator
9,234 Posts
It's cheaper to maintain the turbo combination. Precision can help you get the right parts. They also sell Big Stuff 3 fuel injection. If I was starting from scratch that's the efi system I would buy.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Hi Mark,

If you are limited to a single turbo (I generally recommend twin turbos with that much displacement), I'd definately go to the 106mm. I'd also use the G-trim turbine wheel and 1.50 A/R housing to minimize backpressure. Obviously, Bill has shown that an alcohol blow-through set-up can work, however there are many advantages to running gasoline and EFI. Generally, alcohol combos will require a little more work to maintain since it doesn't have the same lubrication properties of gasoline (since maint. was mentioned).

If you have any other questions, let me know!

Thanks,
Brian

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
O.k. Thanks, I know just about nothing when it comes to turbos so whats g-trim and 1.5 a/r housing? As far as being able to maintain this combo what would be the difference between gas and alcohol? I know about alcohol corosive (sp) nature is that what you mean? Thanks Mark

·
Registered
645 Posts
The G-trim is the largest turbine wheel Precision offers in the large frame turbos. The 1.50 A/R housing is the largest, highest flowing turbine housing offered. From what I've been told, alcohol combos should have their oil changed more frequently, if running EFI the fuel injectors cleaned more often, and I suspect it's harder on rings.

- Brian

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Changein the oil isn't what I'm worried about it's stuff like changen pistons! :lol: That damn nitrous can be costly! Anyone know what that turbo would cost? Thanks again Brian.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How about dry sump systems, My motor has a 3 stage system now any problems with that? Most stuff I see dosen't have dry sump stuff is it for packaging reasons or some other reason? Same with the vacuum pumps?

·
Super Moderator
9,234 Posts
Probably packaging for the dry sump and vaccum pump. There's not much room left in my engine compartment. I don't know where I world fit a dry sump tank.

Monty has a pretty good breakdown on turbo costs in another post. Do a search on Monty Mikho or send him a PM.

·
Administrator
136,346 Posts
Mark best bet is to call Gilsbach. He has built headers on the top turbo cars in the country. His number is 734-466-9378 ... Here is his website to get an idea of some work he has done.. www.gilsbachracecraft.com .. BTW this guy can weld and design like no other..

Another place to get specs is www.burnsstainless.com and fill out their header spec sheet. I would personally (and this is what I did) is have Gilsbach guide you in the right direction since he has done this type of stuff for these kinds of cars for years...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts