Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my motor fired this week and this thing is pouring oil out the exhaust. I have taken this thing off 3 times already and cleaned it which is a major pain in the ass btw... I am running a -4 to the turbo with a 76 nos jet going to it and a -8 line to a scavenge pump to the pan. Do the seals just go out in these after sitting? I have had this one a year and it was used when I bought it. Is there a place to buy the seals and replace them yourself or does it have to be sent off? I have a race next Sat and I have been jumping through my ass to get this thing ready and this comes up. Any help would be appreciated......

I am also running a dry sump with a 4 vane vac pump. This thing pulls 4 inches at just above an idle.... I know the -8 is smaller than most but i figured with the scavenge and the vacuum it would be fine.

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
Already been through this with another car.

Originally had a -4 un-restricted feed to the turbo and pulling directly into 1 satge of the vacuum pump with a -8. It still dried the turbo out. You will need to feed the -4 without a restrictor and drain the turbo to a seperate tank. The tank should be vented to prevent pulling any sort of vacuum on the turbo. Now the turbo drain's to a small tank under the turbo and the vacuum pump sucks the oil from there. the -8 is still large enough.

The turbo seal may also be bad and will need to be sent back for repair.

·
Custom Engine Shop
3,812 Posts
We have had issues with dry-sumps and turbos also. What Dusty posted is good info.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Already been through this with another car.

Originally had a -4 un-restricted feed to the turbo and pulling directly into 1 satge of the vacuum pump with a -8. It still dried the turbo out. You will need to feed the -4 without a restrictor and drain the turbo to a seperate tank. The tank should be vented to prevent pulling any sort of vacuum on the turbo. Now the turbo drain's to a small tank under the turbo and the vacuum pump sucks the oil from there. the -8 is still large enough.

The turbo seal may also be bad and will need to be sent back for repair.

Bingo.....Dusty is right.

·
Registered
720 Posts
does anyone have a diagram to properly plumb twin turbos with a dry sump oil system.(5 or 6 stage)
Dont want to have any oil backing up into the turbos. my only experience was with a single stage external
oil pump and had no problems. Used -4 feed right from a CV remote oil filter with -12 return lines directly to the
oil pan and it was gravity fed.

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
I have a 5 stage pump with the single 106 i had a -4 feed line and a -10 return now have twin 88's have -4 feed and have a -8 from each turbo going into a log with a -10 outlet going to the pump.The only problem i have now is when i change oil and pump the old oil out then spin the pump to prime the motor with the new oil i get oil in the exhaust side.so now i just disconnect the feed lines when i change oil otherwise it works great.One other note i run a screen filter before the return oil gets to the pump

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I should have made myself more clear it is -8 from drain to "electric scavenge pump" then -8 back to pan, and I am also running a 4 vane vac pump. I just dont see how this thing is getting oil in the exhaust housing at all....

Jim that is when I first noticed it on mine when i was priming my motor for the first time and looked over and there was a puddle running out my exhaust.

I am more than happy to try the external drain can but is there any way to rule out the seal being bad on this thing?

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
I should have made myself more clear it is -8 from drain to "electric scavenge pump" then -8 back to pan, and I am also running a 4 vane vac pump. I just dont see how this thing is getting oil in the exhaust housing at all....

Jim that is when I first noticed it on mine when i was priming my motor for the first time and looked over and there was a puddle running out my exhaust.

I am more than happy to try the external drain can but is there any way to rule out the seal being bad on this thing?

I tried this myself and it did not work. Some how I was able to do a burn out and make a pass with no smoke. But on the return road the smoke was something fierce.

I built a small catch can with a breather. The pump draws the oil out of the tank with a -10 back to the pan. No issues what so ever.

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
would also run a -10 or 12 return

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yea prob going to just bite the bullet and pull the motor and put a -12 fitting in the pan. I think it will save me much bs in the long run.... I did pull the turbo apart and did notice that the compressor side seal was clocked in the 3 o clock position the exhaust was in correctly but had some carbon on it.. Going to clean everything and assemble it back tonight. There was some silicon in the thrust plate that is held on with the 7mm bolts. No scarring or bluing of any parts.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
If your using an electric scavenge pump, your -8 is probably too big. We have gone through this before. The Pump isnt able to keep a prime on the oil. Try using a -6 line. Its what we have done with all of our twin turbo lowmount street kits.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I have two -10an's returning to the pan with the dry sump taking it from there as well. I still had a small bit get by so i put a vented puke tank onboard with lines running to the valve covers and this did the trick.

It was a sealed engine and the pump pull around 2 inchs of vac untill it got boost them it had 2 psi of positive pressure, so you can see i a bit of a diffrent problem but still related.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
just got my -12 put in my pan and new hose made with straight fittings on both ends, hopefully this solves the issue.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts