Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother has a Ranger with a 2.3 that he's going to turbo,he's been on a couple forums himself but I figure I'd as you guys if there was any tips or tricks for him that would make it easier on him. One question,is would you recommend him using Megasquirt or going an SCT route and using mass air? Any ideas,opinions are welcomed,Thanks guys,Iam illiterate when it comes to turbos and such so any advice is better than none.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Hi there is a website dedicated to the 2.3 turbo ford motor and it is http://www.turboford.org/
They have a very active for sale section and great forums with tons of info and it is all specific to the turbo 2.3. I hope this helps

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks bud,ill let him know,I think he has been going on turborangerforums or something like that.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
Most guys grab the drivetrain out of a turbocoupe and yse the harness computer etc. I made 300 rwhp with the stock computer and VAM with some 42 lb injectors.

If he was interested in going this route theres a decent TC available for purchase in Louisville i was looking at. Could split it with him. I want the car as a rolling chassis to put a turbo 6 liter LS in.

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He was telling me guys are taking the turbo coupe pistons and using them,I dunno what turbos,maybe off the turbo coupe as well? He found a header for a decent price. I think hes just more wondering of what he should do tuning wise,SCT,megasquirt,or others. Whatever is easier I guess.

·
Registered
141 Posts
using the turbo cpupe ya have to repin the harness,id just get a 96 up ranger a get sct its alot less wiring.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
When i went stand alone i used a holley commander 950. made 465 rwhp with a holset HY35/40 hybrid at 28 psi. These days i would snag one of the Variable geometry units and replace the stepper motor with a wastegate actuator referenced to drive pressure. I am chomping at the bit to try this for myself with something like the ams 1000 running co2 to a short pnuematic actuator to control it.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
He will want the whole engine. Rods are different. Crank is forged. Chambers are a different shape in the head to go along with the pistons being beefier.

·
Registered
511 Posts
He was telling me guys are taking the turbo coupe pistons and using them,I dunno what turbos,maybe off the turbo coupe as well? He found a header for a decent price. I think hes just more wondering of what he should do tuning wise,SCT,megasquirt,or others. Whatever is easier I guess.

I try to use the engine management that gives you the best chance of success, based entirely on the help you have around your area. No since putting a system together without resources for help!

Learned this back in 1999 when a buddy put a TEC-2 system on his vette...just about killed us trying to learn all the little secrets to it. We could have put a Speed Pro (FAST classic) on the car and been up and running months sooner!

So, find out who specializes in what in your area and talk to them.

-reed

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
When i went stand alone i used a holley commander 950. made 465 rwhp with a holset HY35/40 hybrid at 28 psi. These days i would snag one of the Variable geometry units and replace the stepper motor with a wastegate actuator referenced to drive pressure. I am chomping at the bit to try this for myself with something like the ams 1000 running co2 to a short pnuematic actuator to control it.
It works great!!!! Took a little trial and error but we have it figured out now and starting sell a kit with the turbo.

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Our closest tuner uses SCT stuff,but we have a friend that built a turbo car and he used Megasquirt,so he has two resources really,guess its up to him. He did mention the crank and rods too. It does seem like it would be easier to just swap the turbo coupe motor in instead of swapping internals like he made it sound like some guys do.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
Yea ive helped on a half dozen of these builds and done two myself. Its easier just to take the whole motor. Especialky if its an 87 or 88. They dont need any special work to make an amazing amount of power. My engine had 126,000 miles on it when i went thru it and all i did was put in new stock bearings and rings and hit the cylinders with a hone. Hell i was using the stock headbolts too. I tried running ARP studs but they flexed the decks funky and blew two gaskets. Switched back to stock bolts and never had a problem again. Building another one.of these cars is on my to do list. All these recent 2.3 threads have me jonesin for another 7k rpm screamer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts