Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am installing two GT45s on my front engine dragster. You can see in the photo the montage.
In your opinion, should I make a reinforcement to support them?
being out of inspiration, would you have any ideas to share with me?
thank you

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
where on the turbo? on the shra, screw on the hotside or coldside? have you somme examples?

·
Registered
6,979 Posts
To answer your question if you should: YES! You will likely make enough power to explore tire shake now and then if yours is anything like mine. You start leaning on the short times and step over the line right into shaking the crap out of everything. Header mounts alone will not survive long with tire shake.
I mounted mine to the rear of the engine and tilted in above the frame rails. So I just bent up a piece of steel strap and attached the bottom to the rear motor plate mount bolt and the top to the hot side mount bolt. Seemed too simple, but it it effectively removes the weight from the headers. Better yet would be to run a rod between the two turbos to keep them solid side to side as well. Ideal to me would be a rod with turnbuckles or opposing rod ends vertically and between the turbos.
I'm squinting, but where will the wastegates be? (I used the cast elbows with the wastegate hookup built in, and that location has worked very well.) I used short, large turnouts from the turbo exhaust, and frankly my o2's didn't work well there. And they aren't well suited for the primaries either due to pressure affecting o2 readings. So a little longer exit could help there if you are planning that part.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Orr89rocz, thk's for the link, it's too expensive but it's beautifull

tempname
, thank's for your answer.
Like you, I thought install the wastegates on the cast elbows.
Is it possible to have a picture of your mount?

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
I just use a link with rod ends and go from near the flange down to the rail of the dragster

provide support but allow for the movement of linear expansion

·
Registered
16,298 Posts
I made a mount for my T6 style turbo where the mount is sandwiched between the hot side pipe and the turbo itself. The mount supports the weight of the turbo on the chassis,and the two hot side pipes leading up to the mount/turbo have an SPD bellows in them. You wouldn't need the bellows, but you could have a waterjet, or laser cut flange, the same profile as the turbo inlet, with a robust tab as part of the profile Run a rod end style strut (as mentioned above) off that tab to a tab on the chassis, to support the weight, but allow for expansion/contraction movement. Mine is 3/16 thick. You will need a gasket on both sides of this of this flange.

Reactions: gazgab

·
Registered
898 Posts
What about building off of say a Motion Race Works Turbo flange? They have two tabs on them for mounting purposes. And they’re cheap.

·
Registered
254 Posts
We did kinda like what muffler guy did, similar to the motion flanges. Also added a tab on a strut which bolts to the turbine housing. Not sure if that’s okay, but we did it. Have not run the car yet.

7B9BE954-4943-4CD2-9D99-FE616C79ABBC.jpeg

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you for the photos.
Talking with you, it got my brain going. I make some sketches and I share them for your opinion.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Yea bud. Don't wanna hijack this thread with a long story... and been thinking about consolidating all my updates to a build thread. I've been asking questions in each of the forums. lol

But to answer your question... Hawaii!

·
Registered
245 Posts
I would make some support. Solid engine mounts? I tried to keep my turbo support mounted to the engine so the mount would move with the engine, but I was running poly mounts. You don't want the turbo trying to move and your mount trying to rip it off the engine.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts