Yellow Bullet Forums banner

341 - 358 of 358 Posts

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #342
What TIG rig did you get?
I picked up an AHP 201x. So far, it is doing it's jobs however, I am not doing mine. I need to make some changes in the area it is all setup and work on correcting my travel speed. I am far too slow apparently which explains my MIG height welds.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #343
Decided to get started on being ready to make the turbo kit. I haven't gotten the TIG down very well but, so far even though my welds are ugly, they seem to hold.

DSC_2291 by Jason, on Flickr

DSC_2293 by Jason, on Flickr

DSC_2295 by Jason, on Flickr

DSC_2296 by Jason, on Flickr

I can already tell that I will need to move the radiator bungs to the opposite sides, to make room for the cross over and to make it cleaner over all.

The next step is to get a balancer and crank pulley along with some MLS manifold gaskets. Until then, its practice welding to get ready for the day the turbo kit starts to come together.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #345
How is that little radiator going to keep a V8 cool?
It kept a 632 cool though, I will make a shrod for the fan and probably duct it in a bit. I don't see it being a fan of rush hour traffic in a city but, it should be good for regular driving. It's also about the same size as a factory radiator, its thicker and half as wide.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #346
Well, since the weather is so nice, the spring clean up is done and, some other yard work is done. I decided to wash this bucket off. I also realize that I really need to put the other header panel on, it has the spring loaded Lincoln emblem on it. You know, street car things.

DSC_2317 by Jason, on Flickr

DSC_2304 by Jason, on Flickr

·
Registered
17,784 Posts
Well, since the weather is so nice, the spring clean up is done and, some other yard work is done. I decided to wash this bucket off. I also realize that I really need to put the other header panel on, it has the spring loaded Lincoln emblem on it. You know, street car things.

DSC_2317 by Jason, on Flickr

DSC_2304 by Jason, on Flickr
Looking good what color do you plan on painting the car?

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #348
Looking good what color do you plan on painting the car?
If it ever gets painted (there is a lot of body work to be done that I don't really want to do), it will either be the original color (same color I did the engine bay in) or, Brandywine from House of Kolor.

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
Cool deal being on Bangshift! Do you plan on blacking out the fenders or just leave them blue?

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #351
Cool deal being on Bangshift! Do you plan on blacking out the fenders or just leave them blue?
Neither actaully, I don't like either color and I think doing black would make it worse since it won't match. If someone wants to donate their time to do the body work required for paint, I'd either paint it the original gun metal color or Brandywine.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #353
First time welding stainless tubing, tried a few ways of working the torch. Still far away from being good but, there may be some hope that I can figure it out enough to actually make some parts.

·
Registered
839 Posts
My first advise is don't grind the metal with such a coarse grit for the prep. A clean uniform surface is what you want....Did I mention clean? That also means the inside an inch or from the edge

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
Do I guess correctly the stainless will be for the hot side of your turbo setup? Have you tried going back over any of those beads to try to get a more even "stack of dimes" appearance? I can't find the video on his YouTube channel, but somebody posted Aaron's 'fake it till you make it' clip to DailyMotion:

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #356
Do I guess correctly the stainless will be for the hot side of your turbo setup? Have you tried going back over any of those beads to try to get a more even "stack of dimes" appearance? I can't find the video on his YouTube channel, but somebody posted Aaron's 'fake it till you make it' clip to DailyMotion:
In this case, no it is not. It is just stainless I have laying around from other projects. I have the feeling that I'll have my friend do the welding on the hot side, he TIGs for a living. So, the good looking welds would be his and the less than stellar welds would be mine.

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
Fkn sweet! Then tack it together with what you have and then hand it over to your friend to weld out (y)

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #358
Fkn sweet! Then tack it together with what you have and then hand it over to your friend to weld out (y)
That is the plan! I tried to make a merge collector and learned my lesson. I am going to buy one.

Lessons:
1- A compound miter saw is not what is used to make cuts with the length of tubing.. How did I not lose a finger?!
2- Common angles to not work for tight locations

341 - 358 of 358 Posts