Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WHAT SIZE TURBO WOULD YOU GUYS RUN ON A 347 SBF ENGINE THINKING OF 70 SOMETHING OR 88 OR? WANT TO HAVE LOW END POWER ON THE STREET. WHAT SIZE HEADERS AND WASTE GATES WOULD BE GOOD AND WHAT BLOW OFF VALVE ? ANY HELP WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED. MOST OF THE KITS OUT THERE HAVE SMALL TUBEING AND I WAS TOLD TO MIX AND MATCH PARTS.PLANNING ON AIR TO AIR INTERCOOLER,WHO MAKES A GOOD ONE?

THANKS

·
The Enemy
22,068 Posts
WHAT SIZE TURBO WOULD YOU GUYS RUN ON A 347 SBF ENGINE THINKING OF 70 SOMETHING OR 88 OR? WANT TO HAVE LOW END POWER ON THE STREET. WHAT SIZE HEADERS AND WASTE GATES WOULD BE GOOD AND WHAT BLOW OFF VALVE ? ANY HELP WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED. MOST OF THE KITS OUT THERE HAVE SMALL TUBEING AND I WAS TOLD TO MIX AND MATCH PARTS.PLANNING ON AIR TO AIR INTERCOOLER,WHO MAKES A GOOD ONE?

THANKS

I would probably run something 76mm or smaller. Have to look at the maps to get it matched perfect. Id get a tial wastegate and a procharger blow off valve. Id imagine that 1 7/8 or even 1 5/8 would be more then enough for the headers. Id just match the headers to the size of the exhaust valve. Procharger has decent air to air intercoolers as well.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would probably run something 76mm or smaller. Have to look at the maps to get it matched perfect. Id get a tial wastegate and a procharger blow off valve. Id imagine that 1 7/8 or even 1 5/8 would be more then enough for the headers. Id just match the headers to the size of the exhaust valve. Procharger has decent air to air intercoolers as well.
THANKS, DO YOU THING YOU CAN RUN METH. IN PLACE OF AN INTERCOOLER? ENGINE MAKE ABOUT 10.7

·
**BOOSTED SBF***
3,303 Posts
Depending on how much power your looking to make, a 76mm turbo might be my suggestion as well. I think a 1 5/8" header will support between 600-1000hp with a 76 if you use at least a 3" crossover tube and 3-4" down-pipe. If your looking to make over 1000, I would go with at least a 1 3/4" tube on the headers. Tial, HKS, and Turbosmart would be my suggestions on the wastegate and/or BOV. I have HKS wastegates and Turbosmart BOV's for my big block twin turbo combo. My gates are 60mm but I'm sure you could get away with a little smaller for what you want to do.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would not suggest alcohol for street use. Too messy, and consumes almost twice as much fuel.

You can use it in lieu of an intercooler though. It would handle 10.7 : 1 just fine.
IS THERE ANY ADVANTAGE OF RUNNING COMPRESSION, OR WOULD YOU LOWER IT? I THINK THE COMPRESSION WILL GIVE IT MORE LOW END AND A LARGER TURBO WILL MAKE TOP END POWER,BUT I AM WORRIED ABOUT LOW END ON THE STREET. I WANT TO MAKE ABOUT 850-900 REAR WHEEL WITH A C-4. I THINK THAT SHOULD BE EASY WITH A TURBO,BUT HOW BIG DOES IT NEED TO BE. WITHOUT A GOOD SUSPENSION MOST OF IT WONT PROBABLY GET TO THE GROUND, WHICH IS THE CASE OF MANY GOOD ENGINES AT THIS POWER LEVEL.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Depending on how much power your looking to make, a 76mm turbo might be my suggestion as well. I think a 1 5/8" header will support between 600-1000hp with a 76 if you use at least a 3" crossover tube and 3-4" down-pipe. If your looking to make over 1000, I would go with at least a 1 3/4" tube on the headers. Tial, HKS, and Turbosmart would be my suggestions on the wastegate and/or BOV. I have HKS wastegates and Turbosmart BOV's for my big block twin turbo combo. My gates are 60mm but I'm sure you could get away with a little smaller for what you want to do.
THANKS FOR THE INFO. I WAS TOLD TO RUN 2 WASTEGATES FOR A SINGLE TURBO, IS THAT A GOOD IDEA AND WHY? I AM LEANING TOWARDS A 76, LOOKING TO MAKE ABOUT 900 REAR WHEEL.
THANKS!
THANKS FOR YOU HELP!

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Run a GT42-76, 1 5/8" primaries, 2 1/2" crossover. You won't need to go much over 9:1 compression. Don't put really good heads on it either, or it will go off the efficiency map.

This combination will work great, but will probably completely shred a C4 transmission.
THANKS FOR THE INFO. WHO WOULD YOU BUY THE TURBO FROM? WHAT TRANS DO YOU THINK WOULD WORK GOOD?
THANKS

·
My Own Worst Enemy
3,411 Posts
Why not run a Hellion turbo kit with the 76 mm upgrade . These kits make great power and are easy to install .

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
THANKS FOR THE INFO. WHO WOULD YOU BUY THE TURBO FROM? WHAT TRANS DO YOU THINK WOULD WORK GOOD?
THANKS
Doesn't matter who you buy it from I don't think....it's a cheaper turbo. I got mine from Jose at Forced Inductions...you might want to call him, he may have a BW turbo that would work even better by now. That GT42 was perfect for my mild 347 though.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts