Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I am get'n ready to purchase turbo's for one of my best friends cars that I am building.
Going to be a 358'' mod motor in a Ford GT Supercar. 4.165 stroke and 3.70 bore, 11 to 1 compression on e85 and e98. Motor will turn 7500-8400 max. Im doing 1 7/8 headers and I haven't decided what todo from the headers to the turbos yet and im going to buy a double slip style collector and not weld them. Also do I get a v band exhaust flange turbo or a 4 bolt style. This is what I want todo with the car. I want to have the thing spool as quickly as possible, I want to make 1500-1700hp @ the tire. I want to go after the 60-130 record with the car. So lag inbetween shifts is important. The car also has Motec with traction control and originally tuned by Shane T. I also want to be able to upgrade to twin 74's or 6's and run some standing mile stuff (260+). So i'm thinking a 67-72 mm turbo. The Ugr Twin Turbo Gallardo's are running 67s i believe and making 1500-1600 rwhp. They are a 5.0liter v10 motor

For Reference the Heffner Performance/Ray Hofman Ford GT had twin 74mm turbo's on a 331 inch motor and made 1800+ rwhp with under 40lbs lbs of boost. My intake has a 3'' longer runner than theres and my motor is 27 cubes bigger.

I want the least amount of lag possible and if I have to only make in the 1600rwhp range im cool with that, were going to give the Gallardo's an ASS POUNDING.......................................... ..........................................

Btw Turbo's Suck......If i could only talk him into putin a Procharger on it and settling for 1400-1450rwhp....He'll be a believer once I give him an ass pounding with my car

Thanks for any insight...
Dan

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Ok I am get'n ready to purchase turbo's for one of my best friends cars that I am building.
Going to be a 358'' mod motor in a Ford GT Supercar. 4.165 stroke and 3.70 bore, 11 to 1 compression on e85 and e98. Motor will turn 7500-8400 max. Im doing 1 7/8 headers and I haven't decided what todo from the headers to the turbos yet and im going to buy a double slip style collector and not weld them. Also do I get a v band exhaust flange turbo or a 4 bolt style. This is what I want todo with the car. I want to have the thing spool as quickly as possible, I want to make 1500-1700hp @ the tire. I want to go after the 60-130 record with the car. So lag inbetween shifts is important. The car also has Motec with traction control and originally tuned by Shane T. I also want to be able to upgrade to twin 74's or 6's and run some standing mile stuff (260+). So i'm thinking a 67-72 mm turbo. The Ugr Twin Turbo Gallardo's are running 67s i believe and making 1500-1600 rwhp. They are a 5.0liter v10 motor

For Reference the Heffner Performance/Ray Hofman Ford GT had twin 74mm turbo's on a 331 inch motor and made 1800+ rwhp with under 40lbs lbs of boost. My intake has a 3'' longer runner than theres and my motor is 27 cubes bigger.

I want the least amount of lag possible and if I have to only make in the 1600rwhp range im cool with that, were going to give the Gallardo's an ASS POUNDING.......................................... ..........................................

Btw Turbo's Suck......If i could only talk him into putin a Procharger on it and settling for 1400-1450rwhp....He'll be a believer once I give him an ass pounding with my car

Thanks for any insight...
Dan

I would suggest something in the 67-69mm billet wheel variety with the 65 turbine wheels for that size motor. Those turbos will support 1600rwhp. Also you can get them in the same frame as the 76's so later down the road it would be a direct swap and nothing would need to be changed except the turbos themselves. PTE or Turbonetics both make what you need in cast or billet with the CEA wheels from PTE or the HPC wheels from Tnetics. Both in ball bearing as well. Pricing will vary on the brands.

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would suggest something in the 67-69mm billet wheel variety with the 65 turbine wheels for that size motor. Those turbos will support 1600rwhp. Also you can get them in the same frame as the 76's so later down the road it would be a direct swap and nothing would need to be changed except the turbos themselves. PTE or Turbonetics both make what you need in cast or billet with the CEA wheels from PTE or the HPC wheels from Tnetics. Both in ball bearing as well. Pricing will vary on the brands.
Thank You....

·
Registered
49,830 Posts
yeah, those should give excellent spool up

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Need to start attending TA(turbochargers anonymous) meetings. Once you get a proper turbo setup on that car you will be envious of the ass poundings it will issue to that blower car!

If you want something responsive and have power to stomp on the UG cars stay away from the Turbonetics turbine wheel. I would put some Forced Performance 3794's in Tial V-Band housings on the car. You'll get a more efficient turbine side in a nice lightweight exhaust housing. Also use 1.75" primaries. You will be glad you did. If you need help so the tubes don't shroud the port call me, I'm building some headers for the GT heads right now as well.

If it were me I would slap a pair GTX42's on the car in Tial's small V-Band housing right from the get go. They are just about as responsive as the 6765 and will issue a severe ass stomping in power output. If you go the 3794 route initially and plan your headers properly you'll be able to bolt on a set of gt42's later on.

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
11 to 1 compression? That isnt a little high for a turbo car? I am asking for my own personal knowledge, not trying to stir things up.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Hands down the best t4 frame turbos on the market right now are BorgWarner's new S400SX line. You need to call Reed at WorkTurbochargers and talk to him about what your trying to do. When I talked to Precision and told them I was class limited to 67s, they had nothing close until there 80mm and larger. BW new exhaust wheels are very light and the new billet wheels are badass. Just my .02

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Need to start attending TA(turbochargers anonymous) meetings. Once you get a proper turbo setup on that car you will be envious of the ass poundings it will issue to that blower car!

If you want something responsive and have power to stomp on the UG cars stay away from the Turbonetics turbine wheel. I would put some Forced Performance 3794's in Tial V-Band housings on the car. You'll get a more efficient turbine side in a nice lightweight exhaust housing. Also use 1.75" primaries. You will be glad you did. If you need help so the tubes don't shroud the port call me, I'm building some headers for the GT heads right now as well.

If it were me I would slap a pair GTX42's on the car in Tial's small V-Band housing right from the get go. They are just about as responsive as the 6765 and will issue a severe ass stomping in power output. If you go the 3794 route initially and plan your headers properly you'll be able to bolt on a set of gt42's later on.
Im a blower guy and no one will ever change that......Procharger FOR LIFE...... I already have 1.75 headers here for it. I have already done a set of 1.75 to 2 step on my Procharged Ford GT, so this will be a cake walk. Precision has a new 6765 out here just in the last month and they are supposed to be pretty bad ass, but I know nothing about turbo's. Who makes the gtx42's and are they ball bearing and will they support the power im looking for? Also what is the 3794 turbo or is it the same as the gtx42's?

Thanks
Dan

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
11 to 1 compression? That isnt a little high for a turbo car? I am asking for my own personal knowledge, not trying to stir things up.
Mod motors love compression and boost. Mivovetz runs 52 lbs and over 11 to 1 on gas and 2500hp. Im doing 3 11 to one 5.4 motors and all different cubes. 331, 358 and 374...I'll be back dynoing with my procharged car in the next 3 weeks with the 331 motor.

·
Smoked another CTD
3,955 Posts
Im a blower guy and no one will ever change that......Procharger FOR LIFE...... I already have 1.75 headers here for it. I have already done a set of 1.75 to 2 step on my Procharged Ford GT, so this will be a cake walk. Precision has a new 6765 out here just in the last month and they are supposed to be pretty bad ass, but I know nothing about turbo's. Who makes the gtx42's and are they ball bearing and will they support the power im looking for? Also what is the 3794 turbo or is it the same as the gtx42's?

Thanks
Dan
Shearer's plan is a good one. Two GTX42s would more than enough. I have pushed a single plain old GT42 to 805 at the tires on a 406cube engine. I have also helped a local guy switch his BBF from a roots setup with EFI to twin GT42s. I believe that he is 510 cube. Even with the blower cam it spools quick and make more power than his jet pump can handle with ease.

If your interested in Precision turbos but unsure what size you need you can just call them. You give them your info. They look it over and call you back to discuss your options. I have done that and it has worked great for me. You can also get the same kind if service from their dealers. Shearer is one of those people.;)

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Shearer's plan is a good one. Two GTX42s would more than enough. I have pushed a single plain old GT42 to 805 at the tires on a 406cube engine. I have also helped a local guy switch his BBF from a roots setup with EFI to twin GT42s. I believe that he is 510 cube. Even with the blower cam it spools quick and make more power than his jet pump can handle with ease.

If your interested in Precision turbos but unsure what size you need you can just call them. You give them your info. They look it over and call you back to discuss your options. I have done that and it has worked great for me. You can also get the same kind if service from their dealers. Shearer is one of those people.;)
Thanks
I also talked to Reed for a few mins and he was very helpful...I'm going to research and work with somebody im comfortable with incase there is changes that need to be made to the turbos once the car is running.

Thanks for all the info and its more than I wanna know. Did I say yet that I don't like turbo's LOL I just like bolting a blower up and it is what it is, no spooling issues and no lag and blowers do make enough power:)

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
This is the first time I've really looked at a Mod motor and I really like them. Reminds a lot of a 4g63, x2! :) Can't wait to put this 4.6 I have into my 66 Lincoln.

PTE just released the 66mm turbine wheel. I don't have any direct experience with it yet. From what I've heard it has shown gains, in spool and overall output, over the 65mm wheel they were using.

The 3794 is a Garrett based turbo with FP's billet compressor wheel on it. It's ball bearing and extremely durable. It has been the most responsive and powerful turbo of it's size that we've played with. It will make 950+whp on a 2L Mitsu.
The GTX42 is a true Garrett turbo with their new aerodynamic design new billet wheel. In my experience the GTX is slight bit laggier than a 3794/6765 type turbo and will make at least an additional 200whp. If starting from scratch I will direct a customer towards a GTX. Especially since you plan to use ethanol I would pick this turbo. The larger more efficient turbine will really like it and I wouldn't be surprised if the car would make 2000whp. These are the turbos I'm hanging on this mod motor right now.

The Garrett turbos are ball bearing and the most durable bearing cartridge out there.

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good Reading thanks and im doing 1 7/8 headers not 1 3/4. 1 7/8 fit the exhaust port much better. I'm going to see what Reed comes up with and dudes @ precision and who ever it is in the end is going to be happy, cause I got some magazine peoples interested in what im going to do with these two cars:) It'll be good for all involed...I'm pretty excited too.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts

·
Registered
8,464 Posts
why not do a 1 7/8 step down to 1 3/4 to help keep velocity up. and it dont block the ports up. remember this isnt bigger is better routine

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not wise, but it's your build. :smt083
Well Mihovetz told me to do them that big and Heffner has 1 7/8 on the yellow car that makes 2000+rwhp with garret 74's...Heffner told me to not do 1 3/4 also. I listen to John 99.32 percent of the time. He told me to not do my 4.350 darton big bore 374'' stroker motor but im doing it anyways...Its marked on my calendar that on 9-7-11 John said it won't work LOL We shall see.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
1 7/8's is too big of a primary. Your giving the exhaust too much room to fill which will slow its velocity. This is the last thing you want to happen preturbine in a turbo motor. Factor in the statement that transient response is critical and going that big becomes even more of a mistake.

You dont like turbos and dont run them, come in here asking for advice and say they suck in the same breath. Then you basically say piss on your advice im doing it my way anyway...... Way to make sure you do the best combination possible for your friend. Hope he reads this and takes the car to someone else to be done due to your arrogance.

·
Smoked another CTD
3,955 Posts
1 7/8's is too big of a primary. Your giving the exhaust too much room to fill which will slow its velocity. This is the last thing you want to happen preturbine in a turbo motor. Factor in the statement that transient response is critical and going that big becomes even more of a mistake.

You dont like turbos and dont run them, come in here asking for advice and say they suck in the same breath. Then you basically say piss on your advice im doing it my way anyway...... Way to make sure you do the best combination possible for your friend. Hope he reads this and takes the car to someone else to be done due to your arrogance.
X2

If he has it all figured out why ask?

As primaries go you far better off being to small then to big. To small will respond well and spool well but it will choke out early. To big will make great power but is pointless as it will never spool.
This a mile set up right? One big difference between mile racing and dragracing is the width of the rpm band your using. At the mile the rpm drop the shift is greater. Your great topend power is useless if you drop under the turbo on the shift because the volume of your primary is to large.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Oh come on Dan, this isn't that hard remember ? "It's so easy a caveman could do it." "Just run some tubing and mount some wastegates," as I recall. Certainly shouldn't need all this help to run tubing. LOL :finga:

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Well Mihovetz told me to do them that big and Heffner has 1 7/8 on the yellow car that makes 2000+rwhp with garret 74's...Heffner told me to not do 1 3/4 also. I listen to John 99.32 percent of the time.
Follow the advice you are the most comfortable with. If you want something that performs better than average I would start listening. It's kind of humbling that the guys at Heffner listen better than you do when they call me for info/advice. Good luck with your project.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts