Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Q(t)=ṁCpΔT
27,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I was chasing down an oil leak on my stock 1999 7.3 Ford. Fixed the oil leak but had oil in the intercooler piping. The truck has 115K original miles on it, but 75% of those miles were flat out hauling an 8500 lb trailer or boat between So Cal and Vegas.

I had noticed for a couple of years when around town running, then step on it, I will get a bit of smoke, then it clears up. No smoke at WOT.

How long do the turbo shaft seals last? Is this normal at this mileage? Truck has never been overheated.

Thanks for any comments.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Did you do the Crank Case Vent mod? I believe it is vented into the intake and over time you get oil in your intercooler piping...

·
Q(t)=ṁCpΔT
27,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't modified anything. Its stock with a stock chip.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
My 01 has always had oil in the tube, and in the intercooler. Always thought it was odd, but never did anything two stop it. Now at 210k.
Be safe, schick

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
CCV mod may fix your issue. If the air filter gets restricted, even remotely, it sucks oil from the valve cover, draws it into turbo and pressurizes it through intercooler and into engine.
Check inlet of cold side of turbo and outlet of cold side to intercooler. If oil residue in both its sucking oil from valve cover......if oil is only in outlet of cold side its turbo seals.
Other common leaks are turbo pedestal o-rings.....ipr....icp.....occasionally valve covers.

·
Ask me about my Weiner!..
7,307 Posts
Injectors will do it as well, a whitish/grey hue. The spray pattern gets shitty. A HPOP that is starting to get weak will cause the same thing. A 7.3 isn’t the cleanest running engine, I don’t pay much attention to what comes out of the tail pipe unless it’s constant.

The turbo is anyone’s guess. I just replaced one today that broke a shaft due to turbo surge ( 185k miles ). It made lots of smoke though lol. If ever you have to replace one put the ball bearing turbo on it, a very worth while upgrade and turbo surge is practically eliminated ( spool time is almost cut in half, and rated for more boost if you so desire. ).

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Turbos last anywhere between 200-400,000, all depends on how hard everything is leaned on. You can always just take the intake off and check the shaft for play. It should move slightly up and down, but not a lot, and also shouldn't move in and out pretty much at all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts