Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for info on what internal part are needed to be used on a turbo charged application. I know the lower end has to be forged and the pistons for use with forced induction (with low compression) what about the valve train, heads, headers, and throttle body intake and anythink else that may need to be use with turbo applications. thinking of switching to turbo setup with a mild single turbo in the 20 somthing lbs of boost range.

Also how big of a deal is it to have a non ball bearing vs a ball bearing turbo? any and all opinions are welcome Thanks

·
Registered
562 Posts
A Garrett full ball bearing turbo has advantages over a journal bearing turbo in that 1) it will spool 400 to 800 rpm quicker, 2) has improved rotor dynamics with less shaft play, 3) does not have a thrust bearing (a common weak link) and 4) is much more tolerant of marginal lubrication conditions.

As for the other stuff, you can definitely figure on gaving a different cam profile than you would for a blowe application. Give me a call and I'll turn you on to someone who can help.

Rod Short
Sales Manager
Precision Turbo
(219) 996-7832

·
Super Moderator
9,240 Posts
My combo is a little more extreme but I have found that valve train components must be strong. Use big beefy pushrods, good rockers, and valves. I use a titanium intake and super alloy exhaust. You can probably get away with stainless valves. I've been told to stay away from titanium on the exhaust side because of the heat.

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks jim that's the kind of info I am looking for, It would have jesel shaft rockers with the type of head I am looking at running .

What about headers do they need to be made of a certian material to withstand the heat?

Oh yea one more think what kind of RPM can I expect to be turning,
7,8,9000?

·
Super Moderator
9,240 Posts
Your heads, cam, bore, stroke, a lot of stuff will determine the RPM. My headers are 304 16 gauge stainless. I've heard of guys getting away with coated mild steel but I didn't want to test that theory.

·
Registered
7,293 Posts
Hey Jim,

what kind of RPM's is the "average" small block turbo car turning?

Bob

·
Super Moderator
9,240 Posts
Mine is done at 8,000. Friend of mine has better heads and he can spin his to 8,600+. So, I'm not sure what the average car does. It depends on the heads, cam, intake, the entire combination.

·
Registered
7,293 Posts
I understand about combinations being different. just wondering hoe tight you guys were cranking those rubber bands. sounds like not as high as those NA guys but, pretty high, NTL.

thanks
Bob

·
Registered
793 Posts
It depends on what type of budget you are on and if you are all out race or street strip. Mine spins to 7000 and i drive it on the street as well. For turbos , again it comes down to buget. There are alot of claims about ball bearing turbos but while they may spool a bit faster , I don't think its worth the extra cost for the small amount of gain. I also read about alot of failures with the ball bearing units. I have 304 stainless headers on the car for 6yrs now no problem. I think they are a heavier gauge tubing which will help them last ,as well as making sure they are well supported so that they are not bearing all the weight of the turbo.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts