·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pros and cons of running one?
had a turbo company(builder) said they
dont recommend running one.
ran on for years on my old set up no problems
that I was aware of.just wanted to get others opinion.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I've always ran them since back in the mid 90s...never had an issue whatsoever. It's kinda like header manufacturers that void your warranty for using heat wrap...although, I do agree that heat and moisture can degrade the metal a bit over time, if your tune is correct, I've had wrapped mild steel turbo headers last well over 10 years without issue or need for attention. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I run blankets on my turbo's to protect the fiberglass hood and the intake plumbing from the heat of the turbo exhaust housings. Don't really see a downside to running them.

·
Registered
6,747 Posts
Mine are out in the open. So for two reasons, I may be looking into putting some on.
1. kids walking past in the lanes make me nervous. That cast housing stays hot a long time. Even though it wouldn't be my fault, I would feel bad if a kid got burned.
2. When rain catches us, man those things rust like snapping your fingers.

·
Registered
19,507 Posts
I use one so I dont burn the paint off the hood. I would imagine
it does trap some heat in, bearings, etc get hotter than normal.

·
Registered
16,095 Posts
I have my manifolds, hotside, and turbo housing done in cerakote 1800* black. Street car. turbo is about 1 1/2" from steel hood. I have had good success, and no heat related issues under the hood in 4 years. I worry that a blanket would heat soak the turbo housing, and thus, some related parts may suffer.

·
Registered
6,747 Posts
I use one so I dont burn the paint off the hood. I would imagine
it does trap some heat in, bearings, etc get hotter than normal.
Theoretically isn't that a good thing from a performance standpoint? Keeping the gasses hot there. I don't know how much difference it would make practically.

·
Registered
16,095 Posts
Theoretically isn't that a good thing from a performance standpoint? Keeping the gasses hot there. I don't know how much difference it would make practically.
Yes. Heat and velocity are a good thing. In my case, I'm not so sure that hours long rides will be a good thing as far as retained heat in the turbo. Having said that, I'm sure lots of drag week guys are doing it.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Higher exhaust temperatures do make a very noticeable difference in spool and back pressure, in my experience. Temperature is a factor in corrected turbine gas flow, and the formula shows how much. I've not done a thorough test on this, but I've found on one my cars that is really borderline on spooling the turbo against a tight converter that preheating the exhaust manifold with the 2 step will cut the spool up time in half. And when back pressure limited it will make about 8-10 psi more boost from the heat of the 2 step just off launch, and then taper down that 8-10 psi by 3-4 seconds into the run to the max it will generally allow. That's a big difference IMO, and enough for me to consider wrapping some of this shit to see what happens with back pressure and spool up.

·
Registered
6,747 Posts
What is the most cost practical way to blanket these? Mine are gt45 knockoffs. I just need them not to blow off in the wind since they are out in the open.

·
Registered
170 Posts
It depends on your application. If you are on boost for long periods of time on the edge of the turbine temp limit a blanket will kill your turbo. If you are just running a 1/4 mile at a time then they work great for transient boost response. The failure of a turbine at the temp limit is actually the housing distorting and hitting the turbine wheel. The failure of a turbo in drag racing applications is usually pieces of spark plug going through them or a 10mm wrench...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts