Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been considering switching from nitrous to a turbo set up on my sbf fox mustang. Current combination is a 352 with a Dart block and scat stroker kit, CP pistons. 13:1 compression. TFS high sports. Super Victor and a 950 Holley carb. Single stage fogger system. C4 Transmission and Moser 9 inch rear with 4:30 gears. Ladder bars and 10.5 inch tires.
I have no experience with turbos whatsoever. Can someone recommend some good books or good articles to read before starting the turbo conversion? Are there any kits that would work or are most systems pieced together? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
16,266 Posts
I've been considering switching from nitrous to a turbo set up on my sbf fox mustang. Current combination is a 352 with a Dart block and scat stroker kit, CP pistons. 13:1 compression. TFS high sports. Super Victor and a 950 Holley carb. Single stage fogger system. C4 Transmission and Moser 9 inch rear with 4:30 gears. Ladder bars and 10.5 inch tires.
I have no experience with turbos whatsoever. Can someone recommend some good books or good articles to read before starting the turbo conversion? Are there any kits that would work or are most systems pieced together? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Kits are available for moderate power systems (<1000 hp). For higher power levels, most systems are hand built using a combination of components that are available either already built (like turbo exhaust headers or intercoolers) or are fabbed from scratch. A lot of decisions depend on personal preference and how "streetable" a car is expected to be.

Here is some basic info to start with.

https://www.garrettmotion.com/turbocharger-technology/how-a-turbo-works/

·
Registered
16,054 Posts
It would be easier for you to go with a blower.
Send your carb to C&S and swamp to methanol, your cam could used , 13:1 is doable but the window is a bit tight, you already have the headers/ exhaust.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks very much for the advice. My car is drag race only and is not steerable in its current configuration. Is a blow thru set up a simpler way to go? I live in Northeast Georgia near Atlanta Dragway. Is there anyone in the area anyone recommends for help. Bob Kurgan is fairly close but I don't know if he does turbos. I appreciate the input. I'll continue to learn about turbos more before making any changes to my race car.

·
Registered
15,890 Posts
I was a turbo newbie when I started my deal. I called John Bewley at LJMS. He can be ruff around the edges, but once he understands your serious, and actually intend on doing business with him, he is extremely knowledgeable. I didn't even own a motor at this point, and knew nothing about LS's.He took the time to educate me, and his combo did everything he said it would do, and then a whole lot more. It ticked off every box I had X10. The man knows his shit.

·
Registered
15,890 Posts
Ran out of time to edit......I myself would go efi. I have some friends with blow through set up, and mine is way easier to tune and control.

·
OG Member since 9/7/06
16,739 Posts
All of the above posts contain excellent advice.
If you are a race only application then ask yourself what you see more of at your local track, what you see the most support for there and just how much work you want to put in.

It is far easier to transition from nitrous to blower than turbo. Staging, driving and tuning is easier IMO.

·
Registered
6,363 Posts
As a bracket racer, I recently went efi and the next year added turbos after learning the efi. For me, if bracket or class racing, methanol, efi, moderately high compression (12:1 or so) and less than 20 lbs of boost (maybe less than 15) will make a decent drag bracket car that is decent fast and shouldn’t break every part you own every time out. If you want an easy learning curve that gets you to good runs sooner, blower and carb is better. I like the very cheap amazon gt45 clone turbos. If you do twins

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
X2 on John Bewley, Lil John's Motorsports Solutions. He spent time with me on the phone when I had a list of questions and wasn't ready to buy yet. He was patient but direct and to the point. I bought everything from him.
He tells you what you need but also tells you if you DON'T need something he could easily sell you. I would take his advice without question and buy everything you can from him, turbos, camshaft, valve train, flanges, v-bands, etc. His prices are good and even if they weren't it would be worth every cent of the advice he'll give you.

·
Registered
777 Posts
The Turboforums.com is a great place to learn!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts