Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 496 bbc with a 106mm turbo, which is continously destroying the thrust on the crank.

I am running a mid plate, front plate and side braces for no front or backward movement. The trans is a Rossler th210, Converter is a chance bolt together 10 inch. The converter has 3/16 " clearance between the flexplate and the converter.

I am still running a stock gm block with splayed caps and was running a Ohio crankshaft. I even champhered the rear main bearing to supply oil to the thrust bearing.

I don't know what to do to fix this problem any help would be appreciated. This is the third time it has done it. The thrust clearance is always between .006 and .008 when new.

The engine has coated clevite bearings.

·
Custom Engine Shop
3,812 Posts
What kind of line pressure do you have?
We have seen too much pressure destroy the thrust. Hutch can help out on this too.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
does the converter have the aluminum front cover? We had that problem multible times in our turbo car. It builds heat and expands taking out the thrust. Got rid of the auminum and problem solved!

·
Registered
271 Posts
we had this problem last year. there was a burr in the crankshaft not allowing the coverter to slide in and out of the crankshaft freely. especially when the coverter got hot. basically what the guy above me said..

·
Registered
495 Posts
What type of flexplate do you have? I tore out 3 -4 thrusts before I switched flexplates, problem solved.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I had a Reactor aluminum flexplate on it, and switched to a basic SFI steel flexplate

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
First off I have a all steel converter no aluminum. On the oil pressure thing I have a hv pump in the engine which at 7000 has right at 100 psi of pressure hot, when the engine is at 1200 rpm hot it has 38 psi.

As far as the flexplate goes it is a ATI Flexplate on it which has been on the car for about 5 years.

I had never heard of the engine oil pressure being a issue with this!
Could it be too much pump pressure on the transmission? I had a glide in it before and it actually did the same thing now with both transmissions.

Please let me know what you guys would suggest that I try next, I am willing to do whatever it takes!!

The only other thing that I felt could be causing the problem is that while spooling the car takes 6 seconds to build 10 psi of boost which is what I leave with. Could this be the problem?
I have seen other cars that spool the same and no problems!!
Thank You

·
Registered
245 Posts
PT76Jon - I just wanted to say its creepy that your handle is PT76Jon because my name is Jon and I too have a PT76GTS...creepy

1 - 12 of 12 Posts