Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the deal, I can run up to an 88mm compressor with a reducer down to 80mm and weigh in at 3300lbs, or I can run a true 80mm turbo and weigh in at 3200lbs. I have no restrictions on the exhaust side, the only catch is i'm limited to a air to air intercooler but I can run E85 or any gasoline.

Obviously the promod 88 and similar turbos are bad bitches..but, my question is.. is there a true 80mm turbo that can be built to justify taking the 100lb weight break power wise, or should I just go with a 88 and run a reducer?

Does anyone run a promod 80mm out there?

Cuss and discuss with me.

·
Turbo boosted
1,504 Posts
Call rick at exileturbo he can hook you up!!

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
What are the exact specs on the reducer bushing? Do they specify proximity to the wheel and the length of the reduced bore, or the shape?

If you're allowed some leeway with the bushing, generally that's the better way to go.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All it specifies is that "measurement will be a 1/16th of an inch from the compressor wheel"

·
Registered
594 Posts
I would run a true 80mm. The reducer being that close to the wheel really kills the power. My .02

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Talk to the turbo guys mentioned above, plus Forced Inductions. In competition diesel engines we have a lot of this restrictor stuff and the larger wheel is almost always chosen. Especially the way that is written, and if there is nothing in the rules specifying the map width groove, you can fiddle with that and find gains. There's a reason shaved wheels are routinely used.

The restrictor essentially acts like an inlet depression. The bigger wheels seem to pull harder against that, especially if they're a wheel that will make some pressure ratio.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Here is the deal, I can run up to an 88mm compressor with a reducer down to 80mm and weigh in at 3300lbs, or I can run a true 80mm turbo and weigh in at 3200lbs. I have no restrictions on the exhaust side, the only catch is i'm limited to a air to air intercooler but I can run E85 or any gasoline.

Obviously the promod 88 and similar turbos are bad bitches..but, my question is.. is there a true 80mm turbo that can be built to justify taking the 100lb weight break power wise, or should I just go with a 88 and run a reducer?

Does anyone run a promod 80mm out there?

Cuss and discuss with me.
What class are you talking about?

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Garret GTX-4708 @3200. If your engine is 360 or smaller. If you have a bigger engine you need a Large frame w/ reducer.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What class are you talking about?
West Texas Mean Street, its a class me and a buddy started up out here in the Midland/Odessa area, we race with the West Texas True Ten Five Association, it looks to be catching on pretty well out here.

I don't have a motor built yet, I was planning on building a motor best suited to whatever turbo I ended up with. We don't have any limitations on cubic inches up to 440". I'm building an LS based motor, thought about something in the 360-400 ci range.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts