Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my turbo 400 rebuilt years ago, new hipster transbrake installed. Wife got sick then died, car sat 5 years. Finally got off my duff to get running. I have no reverse. Solenoid activates but nothing happens. What should I check. My trans guy is out of the country.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
when i hit the brake button, I hear the solenoid energize. I have tried puting in neutral, and reverse no change. have not put in low gear, and pressed button yet. shifter is B&M Ratchet, I have checked linkage adjustment in Park and high, seams great. the transmission will hit all foward gears, at engine idle. I was reluctant to rev engine in reverse, it is jacked up from the ground. Transmission fluid is TCI RTF. And level has been checked. I appreciate your help. Trying to get going again for Hot Rod Magazine "POWER TOUR" next month, and the little gremlins, are mad at me !

·
Registered
756 Posts
if i remember i had a similar issue. the direct clutch seal on the piston tore. forward would pull a little and rev didnt work. and the brake didnt hold. took it apart and swaped the seal. all was good.

·
Super Moderator
19,376 Posts
If it has 1-2-3 and you have no reverse or transbrake you may have a valve body problem. We have a similar thread going on right now about a similar situation . Your valve body may be missing a checkball. I see your in Illinois , if you need a someone to check it out you could call Dave @ Proformance transmissions in Elburn 630-365-9483. If you want to attack it yourself , do a pressure test in all ranges and report back here with your findings.

Hutch

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the feedback, couldnt locate a tester @ local parts store. Will get one from the Mac or Snapon guy this week. (for future troubleshooting) I did however, run a 10 gage wire from battery to transbrake switch, and all works well. Reverse hits solid, with shifter in neutral and transbrake applied. And transbrake does it job in low gear, with no creeping of the car. Originally tapped into a hot wire undedr dash, and added inline fuse. All other new electrical components I've added use hot wire and switched relay. Fuse block is over 25 years old. GO FIGURE> I am glad to have recieved usefull feedback. Most blogs, are just random uselessness.

·
TEAM NORTH
4,862 Posts
Hutch ,I have a similar issue. But It barley moves in forward gears and no reverse. I have forward gears only on the jack stand but nothing when on the ground. I may be low on fluid in the converter. I here the trans brake click when I hit the button. I also have my 12v from the fuse block. Should I change this to one wire from the battery? And also could low fluid in the converter be a result?

Thanks Mike

·
Super Moderator
19,376 Posts
Low fluid in the converter? It gets filled from the trans so if the trans fluid level is low that could for sure be why it has trouble moving in any direction. Get that checked first!!

Hutch

·
TEAM NORTH
4,862 Posts
Refilled the converter and the fluid level is good. I still have on reverse with the button activated in rev or neut. I have no gears at all. Do you think i tore the seal on the drum when drilled the hole and assembled the trans back the way I took it apart.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts