Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At what power level is it recommended to go with a REID or JW aftermarket case?

Although for the life of me I cannot find either REID or JW cases anywhere....:confused:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What you really want to ask is how much do feet cost?
Case issues are foundry driven. Reid is restocking daily. Call and get on the list. If you wait for a stocking dealer, you WILL wait. And a very long time at that.

Thanks for the response, but I wasn't asking/complaining about the cost, I was just curious what the recommended limits are with the HD case since no one has them in stock. I'm on a waiting list already with no ETA from a major vendor

Also, my feet will be fine, the trans will be mounted to the rear trans-axle (it's a C5 Corvette). Of course getting transmission fluid under the rear tires would ruin my day as well

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We stock them. I think the C5 Corvette conversions require them over a stock case.

Hutch

I was so excited when I saw that you stocked them I didnt read the 2nd part. The transmission builder I'm using can modify stock Turbo 400 cases, that actually was the plan but I'd prefer to be safe

·
Registered
962 Posts
The reality is that the case's effective limit is more about driver skill & intelligence and application than power level. We've seen applications where a stock case will survive over 1800HP in a drag car, but an off-road truck with under 400HP can absolutely destroy the case and every component in it. It's not always straightforward answer. Generally the deciding factors should be: Is it a race car? - If yes, buy the best case you can. Can you afford the Reid case? If no, can you afford to rebuild/replace whatever may or may not fail/be damaged from a case failure?

These are things I urge our customers to look at and consider. I'd love to sell our large stock of GM factory new HD cases, but not in an application where it sacrifices the customer's safety or reliability. In a high performance/race application, safety should always be the first consideration.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
At what power level is it recommended to go with a REID or JW aftermarket case?

Although for the life of me I cannot find either REID or JW cases anywhere....:confused:

I have successfully used the early 8 bolt pump BCOP case with an aluminum direct drum and transshield at over 1500 horsepower with zero isues.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
North of 3500 lbs. in some cases.
^^^^^This X2^^^^^ However I wouldn't recommend it these days since there are better options. Todd Tutterow had possibly THE 1st Turboglide 2spd 400 that Rossler ever built in his blown Pro Mod for a season or two with good reliability as far as I know. I ran a Rossler TH400 210XHD for a couple seasons in a stock case with no issues at around 2200rwhp. I wouldn't do it again due to better options and I like having two legs, feet etc.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
^^^^^This X2^^^^^ However I wouldn't recommend it these days since there are better options. Todd Tutterow had possibly THE 1st Turboglide 2spd 400 that Rossler ever built in his blown Pro Mod for a season or two with good reliability as far as I know. I ran a Rossler TH400 210XHD for a couple seasons in a stock case with no issues at around 2200rwhp. I wouldn't do it again due to better options and I like having two legs, feet etc.

I appreciate the response, I did contact Rossler regarding a transmission for my car but once they new it was for a C5 in the factory location they wanted nothing to do with it. No worries as my current transmission builder can handle, so it did work out. It does look like I'm stuck with the stock case since I can't get a hold of a Reid or JW. When they come available I'll probably just swamp the internals. The trans isnt anywhere near my feet, but it would still be nice to have even though I will be nowhere near 2200rwhp! (that's badass)

·
Registered
485 Posts
The Jaguar cases are one of the strongest,especially with the 8 bolt pump, ideal for Ultrabell conversions. My preference is the early '70's Caddy cases -thick everywhere,all the lugs, internal ribs etc.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The Jaguar cases are one of the strongest,especially with the 8 bolt pump, ideal for Ultrabell conversions. My preference is the early '70's Caddy cases -thick everywhere,all the lugs, internal ribs etc.

Good to know, thank you. I know my trans builder has a HD case but I'm not sure what it's out of. There is still a slight chance I might be able to get a Reid case, I'll know tonight.. fingers and toes are crossed! :)

·
Registered
13,557 Posts
I appreciate the response, I did contact Rossler regarding a transmission for my car but once they new it was for a C5 in the factory location they wanted nothing to do with it. No worries as my current transmission builder can handle, so it did work out. It does look like I'm stuck with the stock case since I can't get a hold of a Reid or JW. When they come available I'll probably just swamp the internals. The trans isnt anywhere near my feet, but it would still be nice to have even though I will be nowhere near 2200rwhp! (that's badass)
I wonder why Carl wasn't interested? Must be a very good reason.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I wonder why Carl wasn't interested? Must be a very good reason.

My impression was that it's a niche market for the c5/c6/c7 Corvettes and they have no interest in pursuing it. They also stated if I purchased one of their transmissions and had it modified that would void the warranty, which I can understand

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So the SAGA continues. I'm again in need of a Reid 400 case and they are still unavailable. Does anyone know where I might be able to get one?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts