Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
16,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ran my 460 Comet at Atco today. It has a turbo 350. After one use of the trans brake it no longer would work, the car also has no 2nd or 3rd gear when you are on it. If you drive in the pits normal, all gears work. You can hear the trans brake click when you hit the button. Any idea if it's the trans or the trans brake. The fluid is nice and red and no burnt smell. Thanx, Ray

·
Super Moderator
19,367 Posts
I assume you have thoroughly check the shifter linkage and fluid level. If so then I would say you have a problem. Tough to say if its a valve body or clutch problem. I would pull the pan first and see if you see any steel or clutch material. Regardless I would pull the trans and have it inspected before it gets damaged any furthur.

Take care ,Hutch

·
16,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Two people have since told me it sounds like the sprag went. I'm going to send it to my trans. guy. Thanx, ray

·
Super Moderator
19,367 Posts
If what your telling me is correct then there would be NO second gear at all. It is possible that it did break the roller race or possibly damage a sprag (if so equipped) and the debris from this has managed to stick the valve body also causing the NO transbrake operation.

Let me know what you find ,Hutch

·
Super Moderator
19,367 Posts
Thats pretty standard for transbrakes. Im assuming the car is heavy and im not sure if the th350 will be up to the task at hand, but thats just my opinion. I haven't had too much luck with them in high torque applications as far as durability.

Hutch

·
16,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's what I've been told. This was in the car when I bought it. It's suppossed to have hardened shafts and 400 planets. It's a Munsinger convertor and a Winters shifter.

·
Super Moderator
19,367 Posts
Sounds like all nice pieces, the converter will work in a 400 and so will the shifter. 400 planets in a 350? I can't say I have ever seen that and maybe I don't want to I couldn't imagine how much work it would be to try and combine 2 different gear helix angles together and have them get along.
How does the trans adapt to the 460 . JW bell?

Hutch

·
16,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just looks like an adapter plate. Moved the car out of the shop this morning. Drove around the parking lot and had all gears. I'll get it to my trans man. Thanx, Ray

1 - 9 of 9 Posts