Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
RED ROCKET
8,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i see tunnel rams short and tall...most i see for a spread port motor bbc are 10inches tall....what would it affect if i had one built that was 8 inches tall?at 8inches i could put the dominators under my hood which i do not want to cut.

combo is a 15.1 632 with 1802 big dukes .

thanks for any thoughts on this.

who would you have build it?

·
RED ROCKET
8,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
also will i see any hp increase from my single carb?

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
The whole point of a tunnel ram or sheet metal intake is to make the engine most efficient in a given rpm range. If you shorten the runners or decrease the plenum volume then you are going to alter the characteristics of the intake - most likely for the worse.

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
Length and RPM kinda work hand-n-hand. They are designed per application, just for this reason. Shorter runners like higher RPM for the most part, just depends. Whats the total length from seat to plenum?

T-flow

·
RED ROCKET
8,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
with a 632 you got gobbs of torque, that 2 inches just going to move the power band up 2-300 rpms
i could deal with that...it also has 600hp worth of juice i spray every pass.

·
RED ROCKET
8,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
maybe somebody will post that has done this before..i know there are some high end builders on here.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Assuming an initial rpm taget of 7800 for the original intake and set of heads that would put runner length at ~97000/7800 = 12.435" lopping off 2 inches would give a target rpm number of 9300rpm. Pretty big difference

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
Whats the length from the seat to the Intake flange???? Then maybe someone can get a better grip on what you have. Then they could tell you what to expect.

·
RED ROCKET
8,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i used the websiet above to get info..seat to flange 5 inches,flange to guide 3 1/2...using numbers and averages i came up with 11 1/2 total length for my current head and intake...motor runs out breath right now at 7500.it will go higher just doesnt seem to make any more power.

thanks for the help and keep the info coming..i want to make the right decision for this setup.

·
Registered
20,824 Posts
You might try put a spacer in the plenum more volume helps also and is the easy thing to do

·
RED ROCKET
8,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You might try put a spacer in the plenum more volume helps also and is the easy thing to do
i want to go to twin carbs for more power..i have a 1/2 wood spacer now .i tried a 1inch spacer and it ran the same.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
How big in your intake now? We have a 15to 1 632 with 1802s with a 2005cfm tb and a VERY HEAVLY ported single intake and makes power way above 7,500 rpm....

·
RED ROCKET
8,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
How big in your intake now? We have a 15to 1 632 with 1802s with a 2005cfm tb and a VERY HEAVLY ported single intake and makes power way above 7,500 rpm....
its a big duke tall deck from brodix...1500cfm carb.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
its a big duke tall deck from brodix...1500cfm carb.
What is the porting like, has it been worked over any? And is it one of the older intakes with the clover design or one of the newer with the open design?

·
RED ROCKET
8,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
was a clover leave at the top but it was removed and it has been ported by a race shop(brad west).

always been told 2 carbs would make more power and thats why i am considering it..i shift now at 7400 and both foggers on its pulling good..be nice to pick up a little motor power and mph more.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
These intakes need more than just a little porting, they need magor work done to them to get the air they need. I'm sure with some more work on the intake that it would pick up some more with out having to go with duel carb set up and having to replum your set up. Could also go with efi on there and get a bigger tb(air moving thru there) on the intake.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts