Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone
Looking for some results if anyone has done a comparison, or experience with both manifolds. Engine is conventional headed 632, 15.6:1 comp, Dart Pro 2 380cc heads, won’t be spinning much past 7000rpm if at all, and methanol is the aim for fuel. Am setting the car up for EFI, currently have the Dart tunnel ram as well as an Edelbrock SV632, my biggest question is would I get any / much gain if I went to a Pro-Filer tunnel ram? I only want to get 1 manifold machined for injectors and not leave any potential horsepower behind. Sheetmetal manifolds are out of my budget.
Thanks

·
I kill parts
11,045 Posts
From my testing on a 600CI combo with 375cc heads that flow in the 420-430 range, none of the cast tunnel rams are very good. Too much runner and not enough plenum. - EFI might squew that some though, I'm not sure how it acts comparatively.

I had a fully ported Victor Ram 2 that was watched to my heads; at 6200 on the dyno we actually watched smoke swirl UP from the venturis in the dominators..... :oops: I looked at all the available cast manifolds and saw the same issues, so I cut 3.5" out of the runners and added 2.5" of plenum(sheet metal), thusly ended up 1" shorter than original but with much more plenum. Picked up over 30 peak and 30 average power. Ended up with 1022hp at 7200 with a cam oriented for heavy nitrous.

·
A Senior Member
4,307 Posts
I looked at all the available cast manifolds and saw the same issues, so I cut 3.5" out of the runners and added 2.5" of plenum(sheet metal), thusly ended up 1" shorter than original but with much more plenum.

Did you measure the new plenum volume? was it close to 600 cuin?

I have read that the plenum volume should be equal to the cubic inch of the motor, as in the PipeMax program.

Thanks
Tom

·
I kill parts
11,045 Posts
Did you measure the new plenum volume? was it close to 600 cuin?

I have read that the plenum volume should be equal to the cubic inch of the motor, as in the PipeMax program.

Thanks
Tom
I did not, to be honest I just kinda went with what looked right. Maybe there was more to be had, but it sure picked up a bunch everywhere.

·
A Senior Member
4,307 Posts
Thanks for the reply.

·
T/S 368E
35,950 Posts

I was recently told the profiler tunnel ram won't line up on other heads??
They claimed the spacing was not in the stock location??

·
T/S 368E
35,950 Posts

No clue, some thing about the roof & floor spacing was too far off to get them to match??

·
A Senior Member
4,307 Posts
There are pics of it fairly recently posted in the "carb and intake show and tell" sticky in this forum. A stock one beside my modified one, as I happened to have two.

Do you have a page number by any chance.
Thank You

·
A Senior Member
4,307 Posts
That was easy page 146.

That was quite an increase in plenum volume. Would be nice to see if the volume is close to the 600 cuin of the motor.

I see you did the rear water outlets. Did you have any problem with getting heat in the motor? I tried it, but with injected methanol and couldn't get the heat in.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
It seems when we did our profiler it was around 400 cu in from them.1" spacer increased it roughly 100 cu inch.So 2 spacers is what we used on our 598.iirc that was several yrs ago allready.

·
A Senior Member
4,307 Posts
so close to the motor cuin.
Thanks

·
Read Only
0 Posts
We also bought a heavily ported dart.It made more power at track than our profiler and our sheetmetal one that cfe made.In a 10.200 layout it's hard to get runner length and port entry correct.They need shorter runners then any of cast ones offer and wider plenum to work with new shorter runners.We found on plenum we were always bigger than cubic inch of motor when it ran best.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
These manifolds suck to run with long runners and 2" added to plenum.Your hood scoop high as roof of car.You can't see xmas tree from start line except in one lane.We finally went back single carb and just ate 25-50 hp we gained with tunnelram.

·
I kill parts
11,045 Posts
That's exactly why I chopped the runners down like I did. We had a 1/2" and then 1" spacer in the ported "as-cast" version and it gained with each step but just wasn't enough to make it happy, so I pulled it off and cut it.

I'll try to remember to take some measurements and run the math on the volume.

As for the back cooling hoses, due to trying to sell the car we're running it on gas and with a little Honda Civic radiator it will definitely still make heat with both systems on, lol. Haven't seen over 160-170 as of yet, but I roll in the water box dead cold with the pump already running, turn the fan on after backing up and stage as cold as I can be.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts