Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I just got a new 88 firebird project , it's been sitting in a garage for the last 10
Years without the motor in it I got it and now need to put the puzzle back together , I'm having trouble
Figuring out the tpi set up . Is there any online help to show how to put this back together

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After A CLOSER LOOK I'VE SEEMED TO misplaced the MAF is there any way to bypass it and
Go speed density

·
Registered
16,575 Posts
Cost you 10X more to swap to SD then to buy a reman maf.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I think you can adapt the newer stle MAF to that old engine as well. They flow better and are more reliable.

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
I once tried to put a basket case TPI back together with a friend who was doing it for a friend of his. It was a mix and match basket of SD, MAF, pre-87 and 87+ parts, and we couldn't put Humpty Dumpty back together again without spending more time and money than it was worth. I hope you have better luck!

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I agree 100% wouldn't be worthe the time or money to
Swap he asked if it could be bypassed.. If that's all ur lacking buy one. Otherwise I'd go carb probably have less issues.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I once tried to put a basket case TPI back together with a friend who was doing it for a friend of his. It was a mix and match basket of SD, MAF, pre-87 and 87+ parts, and we couldn't put Humpty Dumpty back together again without spending more time and money than it was worth. I hope you have better luck!
Well this all seems to be there it's a basket case but not exactly a humpty dumpy.
The car is actually pretty nice just needs the motor put back in .hope to get started on it later this week . Let's keep our fingers crossed .I a precise the help

·
Registered
16,575 Posts
I dunno. I played around with a Jag convertible for about 8 years. Did a 5.7 TPI/700R4 swap and had a blast. Stock TPI peanut cam with a 1.6 rr, bolt on intake and runners. Stock tune. 2800 stall converter, 3.23 posi, and the 4010lb pig ran [email protected] on legit dot's and had great street manners, decent on fuel, and was an absolute blast to drive. Never had to work on it. Big heavy car (4010#) and a motor that made tons of torque, made for a great combo. She was all in by 5500, but on the street, that's not an issue.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
i remember working on the TPI setup in the wifes old 88 formula 350
totally impressed with it and shocked me at the torque it had
i put edelbrock TPI heads on it, and it really woke it up
that thing would do 100' long peel outs with no problem
very responsive down low and coming from a BOPC (buick/old/pontiac/caddy) background, it was as close torque wise as you could expect from a SBC
easy to work on too
i wanted to change the cam on it too, but we had to move and gave the car to a friends son

1 - 20 of 26 Posts