Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
7,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am running a sbf Neal heads first kit is 32/26 fps5.25 flowing. Thinking about adding a second kit. Around a 28/22 do I need to lean or add fuel with the second kit?

·
Registered
7,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With the first or second?

·
Registered
7,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was thinking around 10* of timing or less. What would you guys suggest?

·
Registered
1,267 Posts

when in doubt PULL IT OUT , I would start really low the Neil heads supposed to be really good on N20 but i would pull it down as far as i could thats probbaly about 500 worth of N20 or better, I dont know any body around here that runs them, maybe Sam Vincent can help he runs those type heads. I would PM him

·
The nitrous guy
7,189 Posts
Less.........you should probably start about 5 with both those on and I would not run it but about 300 ft the first time. SBF on two kits, with that head, can be VERY timing sensitive. I have a bunch of customers with very similar combos.......some can run at 10 or so, some at 5, some as low as 2, with about the same amount you are planning to spray. All depends on the combination of heads, cam, compression. TAKE YOUR TIME, get it right and don't be in a hurry to make a full hit.

Sam does run a Neal head, but nobody can compare their stuff to his, because his combo is well sorted. I will pretty much guarantee, you try his tune, you will burn yours to the ground. He likely runs as much timing on 3 kits, as most can get by with on 2.........all about the combination

Monte

·
Super Moderator
12,136 Posts
Man, you guys gotta slow down some times.. :confused:

I'm really confused here myself ??? I'm trying to figure out how you would have a clue what this guy needs for a tune ??? Never heard about timing, plug type, compression, carb, seen a plug and so on...

I know guys want to try and help, but remember, these guys asking a question sometimes don't have a clue who's responding and with what knowledge of a similar combo..:(

The talk about the second kit being richer or leaner is not a fixed answer ! It has a lot to do with where the tune is on the first system as well as the carb plays a part in it as well...

As far as tuning the second system by it's self and then adding to the first, that's not always the best idea either. You need to learn where your at with the first, then add the second on top and tune it.

I'm not trying to break balls' but sometimes more info is really needed to try and better answer these guys.. Thanks, SJ

·
RED ROCKET
8,633 Posts
i never tune the 2cd kit by itself..i used to but it was slower and fat on both.

·
Registered
7,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the help guys. Maybe i should have gave a little more info.
438sbf 12.5.1
Neal heads chambers worked for nitrous
Cam is 286/298 @ 50 with 785/785 lift
Carb is a big bore 1150 QFT with 94 jets front and rear.
Plugs are NGK -10

Just trying to get a good starting point on the timing with two kits.

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
If I were you id start with whatever you have out on the 32 and relate that to your 28 jet and go from there. I know you said the chambers were softened, but id say thats probably one of the trickiest combo for nos.

·
Registered
7,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Im running 15* total with the 32. I could go to 18 or 20 i believe. Just taking it slow right now.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
You need to get first one dialed first! We have gained 2-3 mph in 1/8th mile with just 1 degree added. Then once you have it, slowly tune the 2nd on top of first. Your setup should be in the 20s on that tune on the 1st, imo!

·
The nitrous guy
7,189 Posts
Two kits, is a whole nother story than one............lol...............just looking at the limited cam specs you posted, I will be willing to bet this thing is going to be very timing sensitive on the second one, regardless of what has been done to the chambers. On any smallblock with multiple kits, but especially a SBF, you have to open the exhaust early to get the heat out on two guns....I betting that cam does not open early enough. If in doubt on timing PULL MORE

And you say you are at 15 now, but think you could go 18 or 20............I wouldn't bet on that. Moving more than ONE degree at a time on a sensitive combo, is asking for conversation pieces.

Monte

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
What kind of #'s has it put up Max rider on the one kit if you don't mind posting them?

·
Registered
7,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It ran a 5.36 @ 134mph with a 1.30 60'. Thats with the launcher set at 40% and 1 second ramp time.

·
Registered
688 Posts
intersting thread. I have almost same combo except lil larger camshaft, mine is currently set up with same jetting in both kits but I have not used 2nd yet. the timing sensitivitty is unreal using these heads. I keep mine round 14 deg on first kit and so far best pa'ss has been a [email protected] with a 1.18 60'. I had in mind on to be round 5 deg with both kits on

·
Registered
7,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Have you done anything to your chambers or are they like they came from brodix? My does not seem to be to bad. But i have not made but 5 nitrous passes so far. The shop that done my heads knocked both the quich pads down on my heads maybe that has helped it.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts