Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In converting my 8-pt to 10-pt, we realized that there's no way to get a 100% welds where the halo attaches to the main hoop. The roof prohibits getting the torch around the top of the bars.

All other welds will be complete as the glass is out and the bars can be maneuvered around a little. There's no option since the 8-pt has already been installed.

Since the welds will not be 100% around the joint, I want to add gussets to those joints. I like the look of the tubular gussets, though any gusset would serve the same purpose, I imagine.

The NHRA book doesn't mention gussets, assumedly because they prefer a complete weld, but I have no choice here.

What diameter tube should I get, and where are you guys getting your tubing from?

If anyone has any specs or inside knowledge of how the gussets should be done i.e. certain length, angle, etc. please let me know.

Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
492 Posts
Your best bet is to contact the tech who will be certifying it and ask them what they want you to do. That way you know for a fact it will pass.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Your best bet is to contact the tech who will be certifying it and ask them what they want you to do. That way you know for a fact it will pass.
x2. I contacted an NHRA chassis tech in Wisconsin about the very same issue on my previous car. This is what he told me to do:

The forward cage support that is not completely welded is a problem. To solve it, gusset it with a minimum 2" x 2" x .125 gusset plate at the joint.

The floor/rocker plate should be 6" x 6" x .125.

Hopefully this will make your work easier.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts