Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I have a question to see what everyone thinks. I have a car that weighs 3000 with driver with a 1100 hp engine with a 2 speed glide with 1.80 first gear leaving around 6500 rpm. I currently have 32x14.5W on a 15in double bead lock wheel. It has tubes in them now and it will 60 foot 1.23. I am having problems with one of the tubes going flat and I was wondering if I should keep them in. What does everyone think? Thanks.

·
Registered
17,214 Posts
You actually have two problems here. 1) The tube is leaking. 2) The tire is leaking also.

Just taking the tube out, won't keep the tire from leaking. Replacing or patching the tube is easiest fix. Or start soaping the inside of the tire (heavy coat of Dawn) - But be ready to have to break the tire down a time or two to get it completely sealed up.

·
T/S 368E
27,619 Posts

Not worth it no matter if it leaks down or not.
STopped using tubes in the 80's, nothing but a pain in the ass.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
You actually have two problems here. 1) The tube is leaking. 2) The tire is leaking also.

Just taking the tube out, won't keep the tire from leaking. Replacing or patching the tube is easiest fix. Or start soaping the inside of the tire (heavy coat of Dawn) - But be ready to have to break the tire down a time or two to get it completely sealed up.
The tubes that I used to run did not seal at the exit of the wheel. There was just a relatively large hole, and the valve stem poked thru it. If that tube leaked, it was coming through that hole. But its been 15 years since I ran tubes and these were racing tubes from Goodyear, not street tire tubes. . I don't even remember there being a "ring groove" around the stem for the rubber to seal on the wheel.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Unless they are Mickey Thompsons and leak without the tubes (even with soaping the sidewalls inside.)
I'll take that bet :)
32x15x16 that sat 1.5 years lost 2 pounds in one tire. Had to air the other up about 4-5 times though.
Have to soap the whole inside of the tire and use Dawn (dk what it is about that soap).

·
T/S 368E
27,619 Posts

IIRC, the tubes had to have threaded stems and were crazy expensive.
It just wasn't worth it anymore.
Slicks are made so much better now than the 60's & 70's when we actually needed tubes.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Buy a new tube. I was told the rotational weight bs so I tried running without them. Car wasn't as consistent and wasn't as stable. Maybe in a dragster or 2300 lb door car I would try without them but in a 3k lb car, Ill take a solid stable tire I can 60 foot with over the added weight of the tube.

·
Off the stands for 2018!
19,345 Posts
Buy a new tube. I was told the rotational weight bs so I tried running without them. Car wasn't as consistent and wasn't as stable. Maybe in a dragster or 2300 lb door car I would try without them but in a 3k lb car, Ill take a solid stable tire I can 60 foot with over the added weight of the tube.
I got talked into going tubeless with my pickup truck that weighs 2960 with me in the seat. Stability on the big end was my worry as well.

I have yet to mph better than 151 with the truck, but apparently a full chassis, 130" wheelbase drag heap doesn't care whether you run tubes of not. The thing feels like it is on rails every pass.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone, I do believe its the valve stem. I have to deflate the tires every time I rotate them from side to side. It does feel like it is on rails going down the track. It is a double frame rail car that sits real low. Best et to date in good weather has been 8.31 @ 161 running out of gear. It had a 4.88 in it but doing the switch to a 4.30 to see if we can bring the stripe rpm down. Thanks.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I can tell you mine is much better with tubes. 10.5Wx31. Car is 3350. Will repeat 1.25's all day off the foot brake. Previously would blow the tires off at random.
Doug

·
Off the stands for 2018!
19,345 Posts
Try going 1.teens at 3000 lbs + on a 29x10.5 for 20-30 passes. Tubes help stabilize the tire regardless what year it is.
You are in a completely different deal than a lot of us find ourselves in. Very small tire with a pretty heavy car, and obviously a fair amount of power.

My little coupe weighs in @ 2440 with me, 1.0's to the sixty, on 17" wide tubeless slicks and 6.0lb. of air pressure.....smooth sailing.

I run stiff sidewall slicks on both of my junkers, I am sure that helps offset the lack of tubes somewhat.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Your correct. That's when I started running tubes. The car was 3500lbs with a 28x10.5S on the rear. Running a 565 at 8500 rpm. I need all the help I could get. 10 Runs and the tires were done. That's why I went to the larger tire and less weight. Also more power. Thanks everyone.

·
T/S 368E
27,619 Posts

I never had issues with 3200 lbs, over 1000 HP and no tubes in the 29x10 Hoosiers.
When they came out with the W, it really helped launch consistency, but down track was the same.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts