Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For no particular reason I'm curious at what weight are most of these cars coming in at or should I say how lite can you get. I'm talking NOS combos race ready minus driver. Either outlaw or sanctioned. :smt023

·
T/S 368E
25,699 Posts

Obviously if you are running an event, we have to be 2450.
I don't run ballast, because my car is old, even with a carbon fiber upgrade, I can't make 2450 :(

Unsanctioned, I would bet some cars are ~2300??

This is with driver.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Our old pro stock truck, steel roof and quarters, is 2225 with me in it and I weigh 175. All aluminum 565, Rossler 210xhd. Almost as much dead weight removed as possible. No titanium anywhere and steel brakes. Many thousands of dollars more and it would get as light as 2180ish IMO.

·
T/S 368E
25,699 Posts

That block makes a big difference, my Big M's are heavy son of a bitches!!!!

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
My car is fairly light, if I took all the ballast out I could get down to around 2390-2400. With all my gear on I’m 240, so race ready with no driver or ballast mine can get down to 2150 ish. We usually run NHRA stuff and have it setup to scale at 2475, so with the ballast in it and no driver it’s around 2235

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I appreciate the info. My old Nova which is steel roof and quarters comes at 2355 minus driver. Thats with a steel block BBC. My S10 crossed the scales at 2260 with me (220) and an aluminum BBC. It was purpose built for a small block so as much weight was saved as possible.

·
Registered
179 Posts
The three cars I drove ranged from 2530-2555 with me in them. I ranged from 220-235 over that period. The flat black Vette could have been lighter but we ran 70lbs of ballast and a full size battery in the front end. The Firebird and Camaro had no ballast. My 5" Brodix motor in the Firebird was heavy. It weighed within 5lbs of a Musi 903. EFI and dry billet blocks save a lot of weight.

My personal opinion is that weight is over rated and it takes a fairly significant amount of weight to make any solid detectable difference that you will see on a time slip. This is assuming you aren't changing the weight bias of the car when adding or subtracting weight. We had a 113lb steel plate under the front of the Vette at VMP in 2015 and it was 2,630. It went .960s and ran good. That winter we got weight out of the back of the car, allowing us to take weight off the front, and new race weight was 2,550. We ran the whole 2016 season with it and it never 60'd any faster and I couldn't show you any proof on the slip that losing 80lbs made it any faster.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I was editing my post and had to leave the comp, then it was too late when I got back and it wouldn't let me submit. So...

...At some point the weight has to slow you down, but I think it's laughable to spend thousands on things like titanium window frames, shifter mounts, fuel pump mounts, chute mounts, etc that don't weigh much to begin with. 15lbs isn't going to make you any faster and that stuff wouldn't save you near 15.

This is just my opinion. I'm sure 80lbs would make a difference for some, but not for me. We weren't extracting every last bit of potential out of the car either doing shoe polish racing. It'd probably be easier to see a difference when running heads up stuff where you get to try to improve the car every pass you make.

·
T/S 368E
25,699 Posts

That sucks, I just spent a ton of dough to lose 100lbs, and I'm not going to gain some ET :(

·
Registered
367 Posts
15# is ours is noticeable, especially in the MPH but we’re half stupid and if we know something isn’t right we’ll change it, even in the middle of eliminations.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Probably the lower the HP the more effect you'd see. The Firebird was the slowest of those cars and ran mid 4.0s to low 4 teens
I agree. We have been in the upper 4.3’s but are usually low/mid 4.4’s with a NA combination and don’t have all the extra power to play with.

·
T/S 368E
25,699 Posts

I was going to spend the dough any way, I wanted to move some weight forward.
It's a slower T/S car, 4.40's is all we expect with the small engine.
Local stuff only, it will never qualify at the bigger events.
It was part of my motivation to lose weight, me & the car.
I'm at 60 lbs so far, 15 more to my goal. The car has lost about 60 also, so we should be in the high 2400's by Apr??
Even with the heavy ass tall deck.

·
Registered
179 Posts

I was going to spend the dough any way, I wanted to move some weight forward.
It's a slower T/S car, 4.40's is all we expect with the small engine.
Local stuff only, it will never qualify at the bigger events.
It was part of my motivation to lose weight, me & the car.
I'm at 60 lbs so far, 15 more to my goal. The car has lost about 60 also, so we should be in the high 2400's by Apr??
Even with the heavy ass tall deck.

4.40s should be 6.80s to low 6.90s. That would get you in at a lot of NHRA races, except you are in division 3. Some of them get pretty fast but you're in the ballpark

·
T/S 368E
25,699 Posts

Then I did the math wrong. It's a 7.20's car at best with new engine.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was editing my post and had to leave the comp, then it was too late when I got back and it wouldn't let me submit. So...

...At some point the weight has to slow you down, but I think it's laughable to spend thousands on things like titanium window frames, shifter mounts, fuel pump mounts, chute mounts, etc that don't weigh much to begin with. 15lbs isn't going to make you any faster and that stuff wouldn't save you near 15.

This is just my opinion. I'm sure 80lbs would make a difference for some, but not for me. We weren't extracting every last bit of potential out of the car either doing shoe polish racing. It'd probably be easier to see a difference when running heads up stuff where you get to try to improve the car every pass you make.
I appreciate the incite Dan. On a side note what are you up to racing wise these days?

·
Registered
179 Posts
I appreciate the incite Dan. On a side note what are you up to racing wise these days?
Any time. Not up to much with racing. We just got my girlfriend's TD car done in time to hit the track twice before the end of the season. I built her an aluminum 665 and was busy with that for a little while. We only got to put six passes the car on it but running good so far. Have a small to-do list on it for over the winter.

The Firebird hasn't been worked on really since fall/winter of 2017. I was spending time getting my ducks in a row and saving money to move to SC and got moved January 31st of this year. Working on getting life in order here now. I have another car and have most of what I need to get a ride back together, but need time to work on it and money to operate it. I'm a one man show auto repair shop now and need to get some help and grow it. Hoping to be able to work on my race car sometime in mid or late spring. Really not feeling any rush to get it done at this time. Maybe finish it for 2021.

I enjoyed working for Jim Bell and some other guys since I quit racing, but unfortunately I just can't be gone that much anymore. If I stayed on that path, that's probably all I'd ever be is a crew guy for people. But I still want to get back out and race sometime. It's going to be a lot different with a few of my closest racing friends being gone at this point. For that reason and others my enthusiasm comes and goes.

What's been going on with you?

·
Off the stands for 2018!
18,033 Posts
My '37 Coupe ready to roll into the beams, minus my weight is 2275 with the iron block 638, two kits, and a single loaded 10# bottle.

All aluminum 665 was 106# lighter....

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Any time. Not up to much with racing. We just got my girlfriend's TD car done in time to hit the track twice before the end of the season. I built her an aluminum 665 and was busy with that for a little while. We only got to put six passes the car on it but running good so far. Have a small to-do list on it for over the winter.

The Firebird hasn't been worked on really since fall/winter of 2017. I was spending time getting my ducks in a row and saving money to move to SC and got moved January 31st of this year. Working on getting life in order here now. I have another car and have most of what I need to get a ride back together, but need time to work on it and money to operate it. I'm a one man show auto repair shop now and need to get some help and grow it. Hoping to be able to work on my race car sometime in mid or late spring. Really not feeling any rush to get it done at this time. Maybe finish it for 2021.

I enjoyed working for Jim Bell and some other guys since I quit racing, but unfortunately I just can't be gone that much anymore. If I stayed on that path, that's probably all I'd ever be is a crew guy for people. But I still want to get back out and race sometime. It's going to be a lot different with a few of my closest racing friends being gone at this point. For that reason and others my enthusiasm comes and goes.

What's been going on with you?
I really haven't done much of anything racing related since beginning of the year. I sold my truck and started looking for a car. However between not being much out there and the sticker shock of some of these newer cars I just kind of lost my motivation. I'm sure though when spring rolls around and everyone is getting ready the fire will light again, LOL.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts