Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
T/S 368E
26,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Trying to remember, but it's been many years and can't :(

I have 3 racecars and want to make them all the same, now 1 has M/W's stuff, 1 Moser, 1 Strange.

IIRC, I was told M/W uses a different length axle for their center section, as example,
I have a M/W 40 spline set up in one car.
If I buy a spare M/W center section and stick it into the Strange car, the Strange axles will not fit?? :(
The Strange & Moser will mix just fine??
Is this true??
Obviously axles are cheaper than center sections, so the plan is to only have 2 M/W center sections,
with 2 different gears that will work in the 3 cars when needed.

Thanks Guys.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
I believe there is a pressure angle difference in the M/W compared to Strange. Spine contact area may be less if mixing.

·
T/S 368E
26,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I was told the length is different, but it could have been splines??
Like I said, it's been a long time since I built all these cars.

Going to start calling them today.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
I believe the placement of the splines in the spools may also be different. That could be why length of axles could need to be different.

·
133 Posts
The 40 spline spools are all 45 degree pressure angle. Our spool is designed with the splines is completely thru the spool. If the axle is longer it would still work in our spool as long as the splines are long enough as no to bottom out. If the axles is made correctly the diameter after the spline would be reduced after the spline, and would slide in further.

·
T/S 368E
26,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I'm all set after talking to Moser.
I will buy a new M/W center section and try to reuse my axles.

Thanks Guys.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I just rebuilt my rear end and went from Moser 35 spline to Strange 40 spline. The Moser spool had 2" of smooth bore before the splines. The Strange had splines all the way through like the MW. There was a significant difference in axle lengths of the Moser 35 splines and the Strange 40's.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts