Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got some used inconel headers for my car, going to try out these tri Ys..Had to switch around the header firing order a little..Have to weld in some new tabs. These things are Light!

What are guys using for rod to weld inconel? Any special technique?

·
Registered
619 Posts
I recognize the design. They were made by Weiss in Indy. I have seen quite a few sets of theirs in Cup Land. They make really nice stuff. With the Inconel, you need the biggest cup you can get and keep everything clean around it. You need an awful huge amount of gas flowing as well. Also back purge and even use flux if you have to. Most people find it hard to weld this material.

I use mineral spirits and clean it before welding that stuff. Normally we can get away with the material as thin as .029, thats why they are so light and durable.....

building a down pipe and headers for my 87 Turbo Regal right now with some we had left over from a GM Racing project for the current R07.

Proheader

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I recognize the design. They were made by Weiss in Indy. I have seen quite a few sets of theirs in Cup Land. They make really nice stuff. With the Inconel, you need the biggest cup you can get and keep everything clean around it. You need an awful huge amount of gas flowing as well. Also back purge and even use flux if you have to. Most people find it hard to weld this material.

I use mineral spirits and clean it before welding that stuff. Normally we can get away with the material as thin as .029, thats why they are so light and durable.....

building a down pipe and headers for my 87 Turbo Regal right now with some we had left over from a GM Racing project for the current R07.

Proheader

Yep Weiss headers, really like the flanges. :)

Thanks guys for the tips...found some ERNiCr-3 in town today. Worked GREAT! Wasn't too bad to weld.

Got all the fab work finished, and the firing order right, and back on the car...cant wait to hear it run with these headers:)

Proheader...do you have any pics of your new headers or any inconel Sb2 or Ro7 headers?

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Where did you get these from, are they readily available and how much did you pay for them?, I want a set.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Where did you get these from, are they readily available and how much did you pay for them?, I want a set.
Jak...I can check with the guy I get em from.

Paid $500 shipped..

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Awesome, thanks.
What are the diameters and lenth of tubes?
The flange that is bolted to the head, is it inconel and is it the standard bolt pattern on the head?
Have you used those braswell carbies yet I wouldnt mind an opinion on them as well?
You have some good stufff there.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Awesome, thanks.
What are the diameters and lenth of tubes?
The flange that is bolted to the head, is it inconel and is it the standard bolt pattern on the head?
Have you used those braswell carbies yet I wouldnt mind an opinion on them as well?
You have some good stufff there.

Braswell carbs working good...just fired the engine in the car, vid from yesterday.:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYu9BiKFiu8

·
Registered
619 Posts
dont you just love the SB2......wait until the R07 gets move available..those things are AWESOME!!!!!

have fun with that thing and as far as the Braswells go....best choice!!

Proheader

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
dont you just love the SB2......wait until the R07 gets move available..those things are AWESOME!!!!!

Proheader
the R07 stuff is available........CFE!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
5,387 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Proheader

Yep!!! Sb2s are awesome! Cheap parts, easy to maintain..Its also helps to have the Augusta, KS power under the hood!

I'd really like to have an R07, had a set of Gibbs heads about a year 1/2 ago.. Really nice! Couldn't find the cheap parts like the SB2. Block was the main thing...none available at the time. Decided to go with another SB2. Hard to pass up $1200 blocks, $250 jesel keyways, $250 sets of rockers.;):)

Heres the Ro7s I had...sold em on ebay.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Check on a set for me please.
You bet:)

Had my buddy check last week, hes doing an SB2... said they had 28 sets...Probably stainless, not inconel. Well see if they have any more.

Its hard to find the inconel ones without the #8, and #3 pipes going back toward the firewall ( good fab/gibbs style)

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Thankyou, does the RO7 have factory or 4.5 inch borespace?
What power do you think it could make at 400 ci, with a sheetmetal,2 carbs, dry sump etc for max effort drag race engine?

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
What power do you think it could make at 400 ci, with a sheetmetal,2 carbs, dry sump etc for max effort drag race engine?
they are 4.5".......thats the thing.. the block is the hard part...if you want more than 400" the decks are most likely too short.

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
Patterson did his....thats pretty much what you are asking about?? The R07 stuff can be better, but for what cost$$ and to gain how much??

1 - 20 of 29 Posts