Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i got the cometic nox box -2 in last week. I have never installed a progressive at all so it was going to be a first for me. i DO however program automation control systems in the audio visual world and in the end is pretty much the same on the wiring side of things. I have the controller installed now and hopefully will have some passes soon to test it out. Here is my opinion so far of a gasket company selling a controller....

1- I realize it is a daytona sensor unit re labled
2-Cometic does NOT have a REAL control system engineer in house.they do have a guy that has probably had basic instruction on the wiring schematic. He may know what the controller does, but he does not know HOW it does what is does.(key role in engineering)
3-Daytona sensors will send you to this guys cell phone number and he is a system engineer..you can tell within his first few words that he is and wants everyone to know his brilliance...
4- He will ask you over and over...is it wired exactly like the schematic...he cares about no question you may have but instead answers almost robotically...."is it wired exactly like the schematic"..
5-They by no means have anyone that will actually help you "troubleshoot" anything...so you better hope if you have an issue you are a tiny bit familure with wiring and relays.

Now saying all of this, so far i like it. The software is simple as can be and has a lot of nice little functions for such an inexpensive piece. So far it appears to be very stable. and it definately does what you tell it to do. The little data logging it does is nice for me, my setup is very basic carb and a plate so i dont have a ton of things i need to see. You can use a wide band with it as well as use the GPIO for a timing retard trigger or a shift light etc. In the end i think i will really enjoy the unit, however the main thing i was concerend with held true...little technical support on the unit..hopefully this will improve. I will let you guys know how it performs at the track..

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Ran into the same thing with my nox box when I called with some questions on it....

I was hoping to change the code because the sampling for the 02 readers doesn't match up with the readers I have from NGK.. The end result is I have to take the numbers from the cometic controller log and apply a conversion formula to get the actual a/f reading for my sensors. Not that big of a deal in the end...

Otherwise the controller seems to work well, one thing I haven't figured out yet is if I can do a dual ramp on it...

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im going to be trying to figure out the dual ramp as well..right now the class im going to run we are limited to 1 stage of only 150hp so the dual ramp isnt needed. However when i want see just how much i can get out of it,ill be using both stages...

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Remember, a lot of people talking about a dual ramp mean that the ramp changes slope and ramps to 100% faster (or slower). Like 20%->50% over 0-0.5sec and 50%->100% from 0.5 to 0.75 sec . . . .

The Cometic/Daytona 2-stage controller has modifiable curves, for each stage, giving more flexibility than just a start, mid, and end point.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i was thinking it would be that simple, just didnt know if i was underthinking it....thanks guys...

i by no means was trying to bash on the controller for sure..i really like it...the tech support...not so much...

·
6,816 Posts
yes it is they are all the same com wilson sx they are all made by daytona it is a great unit i love it

·
6,816 Posts
like the graph above you can adjust for how long you want the ramp and just ride the dots

·
Registered
1,589 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
I've had really good results from mine. The only thing I don't like is the resolution on the data. 10 samples per second isn't nearly enough. I wish they'd put out a firmware update to get that up to about 100.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I scored a Daytona Sensors version for $170 shipped off Ebay a couple weeks ago. Once I get the motor back together I will install it. Glad to hear it's working well for you guys.

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
It is way the best for the money...tech man is a TRIP!!!!
It is all we use

1 - 20 of 29 Posts