Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we are out of jet options from the big shot dominator plate kit -

we were running 102N /91F @ 6psi at 21* (taking out 14* from 35*) - but never really got a timed pass to see what that did

SOOOO - we have a hot grudge coming up - so we figured why wait - just go bigger :rolleyes: - we think we have been babying the motor

so I wanter your thoughts on a 110N / 102F - @ 5.75psi - took out 1* more to 20* overall - (15* from 35*) -

an initial blip or two of the button in the garage - plug looks just slightly rich - but it sounds ferocious when it hits

540ci - merlin block - canfield heads - PRO Systems 1100 dominator - nitrous friendly cam with about .680 lift - (its not a screamer rpm motor) - about 155 psi cranking compression - powerglide / 32 x14 x 15 in a long ricer body

anything else you think I can do as a starting range to try this combo

·
The nitrous guy
7,189 Posts
That's going to be way rich. The amount of nitrous flow you picked up, going from .102 to .110 is not huge..........the fuel flow from .091 to .102 is a big jump. You would likely have been fine, to leave the fuel jet alone and just upped the nitrous side. Your timing number should be fine.

Monte

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
That's going to be way rich. The amount of nitrous flow you picked up, going from .102 to .110 is not huge..........the fuel flow from .091 to .102 is a big jump. You would likely have been fine, to leave the fuel jet alone and just upped the nitrous side. Your timing number should be fine.

Monte
As usual you have got me thinking

I have never dabbled with anything over a 12 jet spread and feel comfortable about it

but I am worried about being too rich - based on your suggestion

perhaps I will go to a 110N / 93F

(have a 93 fuel jet in the kit - instead of 91F)

in light of your suggestion - and the fact that I may be too rich

·
The nitrous guy
7,189 Posts
Just outa curiosity...how big of a hit is that?
Depends on who you ask........but usually, with an untouched 16045, side exit, .116 orifice solenoid, that jetting will pass in the range of 1100lb/hr of nitrous, using a 10lb bottle, standard valve and #6 line. Maybe more, maybe less, but that is close. If you use a divider of 4 to figure advertised HP, that would be 275HP

Monte

·
Super Moderator
12,175 Posts
Depends on who you ask........but usually, with an untouched 16045, side exit, .116 orifice solenoid, that jetting will pass in the range of 1100lb/hr of nitrous, using a 10lb bottle, standard valve and #6 line. Maybe more, maybe less, but that is close. If you use a divider of 4 to figure advertised HP, that would be 275HP

Monte
Monte,
Not sure if it has changed recently and I didn't see it yet, but the 16045 side in/out solenoid has alway had an advertised .110 orifice. They commonly measure .107-.109.

As for the original post, it's not uncommon to see large jet spreads when we flow these systems to correct the N/F ratio's. As Monte said, depending on set up it can change. But just to give an idea 10-20#'s is not uncommon.. Thanks, SJ

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: trying 110N /102F on a big shot plate - POST MORTEM

Well we won our grudge match but had some weird results on the nitrous

on motor test pass the car did a 5.7.. @ 125 with a 1.39 60ft (@ 35* base timing) -
it was a freight train the driver said leaving at 3000 rpm

on the adjusted 110N / 93F pills (we took out the
102 jet as advised) and a 21* total timing (I settled on 14* pulled from the 35*) for the grudge race

we won but with a [email protected] 124.31 with a 1.36 60ft leaving at about 4000 rpm because of the track conditions
still pulled like the proverbial freight train

so we are looking at

1) motor does not like the amount of timing retard

2) plate is still too rich (we used a -9 ngk plugs - looked fine )

3) 540ci motors should run on more than a single holley blue pump on motor

a reasonable video of the race - once link works

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9P6eyyjoFA&list=FLYyOUEsRDC31KwqTWn5JOiQ&index=2&feature=plpp_video

·
Registered
257 Posts
can I chime in real suttle like....?...lol kinda like one of those people who tap their wine glass with a knife and say excuse me....lol

the old style big shot 116f/120n is BADAZZ.....I don't know about all the flow number stuff
and maybe it just worked for my small block
33 degrees and take 11 out off the brake
flowin' with the 116 jet in the plate to a bucket.....lol

just wanted to add in a nice clean post
Damn,...I LOVE THAT NITROUS!

oh yeah,...let me turn back over....
I call that the 350+....It hits like a Sledge Hammer

ok...I'll go lay back down now...my head hurtz..

·
workin it
7,778 Posts
yeah, the one blue pump is more than likely hurting your performance...in my opinion you need a bigger pump for the motor. Mine needed a blue pump per bowl just to keep it rpm'ing...something to look at definitely. But it still should have picked up on the bottle. Do you have a separate pump for the nos?

·
2013 KING OF THE STREET
1,706 Posts
that small cam may be done??? may be blowing throw tha conv..???

·
2013 KING OF THE STREET
1,706 Posts
what do the plugs look like??

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
APOLOGIES - CORRECTION TO THE POST MORTEM PASS TIMES - but it still raises the same questions

MOTOR pass was 6.07... @ 120 mph - on 35* base timing * - with a 1.48... 60 ft

Grudge race was 110N / 93F on a bigshot plate

[email protected] 124.31 with a 1.36 60ft

leaving at about 4000 rpm because of the track conditions still pulled like the proverbial freight train

(the other 5.7 @ 125 with a 1.39 60 ft pass was also a nitrous pass but the day before the race -
using the same 110N /93F big shot plate leaving at 3000 rpm )

Plugs looked good - we have one blue pump on motor and one blue pump dedicated for the nitrous fuel system

·
Registered
126 Posts
Just my 2 cent but 120mph on motor and then only picking up 5 mph on a 110 jet time to look for a tigther convertor my setup from this past year a smaller cubic inch motor with bb2 extras on motor would run 6.38 112 mph then on a 102 jet in nos side would sixty 1.24 best pass so far has been a 5.60 but my convertor is a little to tight for that setup dropping 1400 rpm in between gear changes

·
EFI/N2O JUNKIE
17,922 Posts
You won your grudge race but lost something big time on the bottle. No way should you only gain 4 mph on that kind of jet. I gain more than that with a 100hp shot...........

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks to all you guys - best monday night quarteback site around - we are on the converter hunt right now

·
Registered
517 Posts
Hmmmmm! This thread is interesting.
Here my set up and passes.
572 ci bbc. Dart pro 1 heads. Flows 454 at .800 lift. 14-1 comp. 1200 cfm carb. Wilson plate, .091n; .082f; 6 psi. 3500 lbs.
On motor it run 6.4's at 112-112 mph with a 1.49 60'
On nitrous it runs 5.7's at 123-124 mph with a 1.38 60'
I have pilled it up to a .110n; .100f at 5.75 psi but have not run it yet.
The fuel ratio is 5.2-1. I think the fuel ratio is off bu plug look good.

Any thoughts on this set up?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
our plugs were fine at 110N / 93F at 5.75 psi - but each to their own - we have about 1000lb saving on you so cant compare our times - and a pro systems custom 1100 carb for our 540ci motor - and probably not as much compression as you - our pistons are not the massive high domes

but you may want to look at your fuel jet ratio in light of what has been said here

otherwise sounds like a good gain onn nitrous for your weight

1 - 20 of 28 Posts