Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 86 C10, wanted to install a roll bar, but didn't want the hoop bars going into the bed.
Could it be made 10.0 legal by installing a cage-hoop, halo and A pillar bars, pretty much
contained inside the cab. Its more street, very limited race. I don't know if there is someone
in NHRA you can contact. Maybe you guys have run into this.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I have an 86 C10, wanted to install a roll bar, but didn't want the hoop bars going into the bed.
Could it be made 10.0 legal by installing a cage-hoop, halo and A pillar bars, pretty much
contained inside the cab.
Short answer,....... NO !!

Long answer,....
I've seen several guys do what you're asking (keeping everything inside the Cab),....BUT, it will NOT certify.

Another thing you might consider,....but also won't certify either,....is detachable rear bars through a sliding glass window. I had a set-up like this several years ago.

FWIW,.....
The Track Nazi's don't look at them real hard "unless" you dip down in the 9's.

·
Registered
16,216 Posts
I saw one that had the bars low inside the bed, connecting to the cross bar, then verticals bars from there up to the top of the bar. Make sense? Also will NOT cert, but I’ve seen it.

·
Registered
19,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't really ever remember seeing a cert on a roll bar, just cages-I was just hoping
I could get away with an in cab modified cage good to 10.0 and eliminate the rear bars.
Doesn't sound like it.

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
If you're rarely going to race just slow it down and not have a cage.

Personally I would have something. Worst time to be thinking about a cage is when you're on the roof at speed.

Friend did a Ranger with Main hoop, halo, door bars and swing outs. Rest of it penetrates the cab and is hidden in the bed. Won't cert, but it'll keep him safe if something happens. Runs mid 11's and has a blast.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Short answer. YES

You don't have to have the rear down bars in a pickup truck, BUT inside the truck needs to have a funny car cage around driver.

·
Registered
305 Posts
From another forum and always check with the person who will certify, but

In some circumstances you can do without any rear bars in trucks if you utilize the correct SFI cage.

Per NHRA -

"Steel-bodied pickup trucks (7.50 seconds and slower), roll cagesare permitted with no back braces if the roll cage satisfies SFI25.1, 25.2, 25.4, or the roll cage consists of a 4-point (door car)cage with a complete SFI 2.4, 2.5, 2.6, 2.7 dragster, SFI 10.2,10.3 altered, or SFI 10.4 street roadster roll cage/driver’scompartment incorporated into and attached to the 4-point rollcage. An upper windshield bar is mandatory.Non-steel-bodied pickup trucks (7.50 seconds and slower), rollcages are permitted with no back braces if the roll cagesatisfies SFI 25.1, 25.2, 25.4, or the roll cage satisfies therequirements for SFI 2.4, 2.5, 2.6, 2.7 dragster, SFI 10.2, 10.3altered, or SFI 10.4 street roadster roll cage/driver’scompartment. No 4-point (door car) cage is required and noupper windshield bar is required."

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
I've seen some really clean 2nd gen lightnings with some type of sealed pass through window grommets that the rear strut bars exit. Nice but have no idea where they got them or who does that cage. Pretty sure they kept the stock rear glass and cut a hole in it somehow.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I've heard but am not sure if it's legal some say they have the bar go higher than the window with a little bend to go up and over glass. Again need to talk to local guy who will or won't meet it. Tuck the hoop touching the roof and bars come straight back then drop outside even would work depending on window

·
Registered
23,293 Posts
I've seen some really clean 2nd gen lightnings with some type of sealed pass through window grommets that the rear strut bars exit. Nice but have no idea where they got them or who does that cage. Pretty sure they kept the stock rear glass and cut a hole in it somehow.
I dont think they are cutting a hole in tempered glass .

Probably replaced with lexan .

·
Registered
229 Posts
Super Gas racer named Jim Perry has an s-10 with no bars thru the window. Probably has them under the bed cover. Runs div 2 from Florida and passes tech every weekend...search him on u-tube, has won a bunch in it, super nice truck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts