Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know they say the truck coils are more powerful than the regular ls1 coils, question is what year am I looking for? Wondering if I can swap the coils from the camaro with the coils on my silverado? It's an '03 silverado with a 5.3, are those the better coils or is it later years or only 6.0's? Thanks for any help guys!

·
Registered
354 Posts
The coils you are looking for are round with the aluminum heat sinks on the ends.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think that's what's on my truck, I know they are definately a different shape, pretty sure round, I'll go out and check tomorrow, got any pics of what they look like?

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
devon you gonna steal em off your truck and put em on the car?!?! lmao
Haha, why the hell not!!!!! I'm probably going to trade the truck in for a diesel after the camaro is back together anyways, been wanting a diesel forever, so why let a perfectly good set of truck coils go to waste?! :D

·
Registered
49,436 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So how do you keep them from prematurely firing, settings in the computer, or no control over it and should just stick with the ls1 coils that are on it?

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
I never had a problem out of mine before I went Carbed. Got a set of them on the 6.0 in my mustang too.

·
Registered
49,436 Posts
So how do you keep them from prematurely firing, settings in the computer, or no control over it and should just stick with the ls1 coils that are on it?
limit dwell to 6.5msec and call it a day.

·
Registered
10,843 Posts
Dont fuck with it. I swapped my 98 coils for the ones on the 04 GTO but only because of the age. I think that they were identical. I have not seen any conclusive evidence with regards to any real life gains at the track.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dont fuck with it. I swapped my 98 coils for the ones on the 04 GTO but only because of the age. I think that they were identical. I have not seen any conclusive evidence with regards to any real life gains at the track.

Not really looking for a gain per say, just want to make sure there's enough spark for the power it's going to be making. Is steve still using the regular ls coils and is he having any spark issues? I remember he had some kind of spark issue, but it was just a plug wire, right?

·
Registered
49,436 Posts
Not really looking for a gain per say, just want to make sure there's enough spark for the power it's going to be making. Is steve still using the regular ls coils and is he having any spark issues? I remember he had some kind of spark issue, but it was just a plug wire, right?

Stock Ls1 coils poop out around 1300hp or so give or take fuels and tune up etc etc etc. That is is you can comman the dwell time to the maximum of 5.6msec. The truck coils like the ones discussed here are almost 2x the power of a stock ls1 coil and should in thoery be good or 1600hp without much trouble. Maybe even more.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Stock Ls1 coils poop out around 1300hp or so give or take fuels and tune up etc etc etc. That is is you can comman the dwell time to the maximum of 5.6msec. The truck coils like the ones discussed here are almost 2x the power of a stock ls1 coil and should in thoery be good or 1600hp without much trouble. Maybe even more.
Thanks for the info, i'll probably end up throwing the truck coils on then. So you said I should limit the dwell time to 6.5 ms and there shouldn't be any problems?

·
Registered
49,436 Posts
Thanks for the info, i'll probably end up throwing the truck coils on then. So you said I should limit the dwell time to 6.5 ms and there shouldn't be any problems?
yes.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No problems with the stock coils on Steve's car. The wires have been the only issue.
Seems all the guys that have relocated their coils have had issues with the wires coming apart, first Darrell and then Steve. I was thinking about doing it to put some nice valve covers on, but I'm starting to lean toward leaving them and staying with the small stock type wires so I don't run into problems.

·
Registered
10,843 Posts
Seems all the guys that have relocated their coils have had issues with the wires coming apart, first Darrell and then Steve. I was thinking about doing it to put some nice valve covers on, but I'm starting to lean toward leaving them and staying with the small stock type wires so I don't run into problems.
Good thinking.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts