Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a msd 7530 and i am trying to hook the fast air fuel meter up, i have the rpm hook up and it will not work,, the rpm on the unit flickers between 560- 860 rpm.. fast tech told me to connect the unit to the coil, that is apparently very wrong.. any one got any ideas as i need to use the unit for tuning ...

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Which FAST meter do you have ? I'm looking at the 170450, and there is nothing that shows the tach hookup and the dual sensor version.

Pat

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have the 170402 with the rpm unit 170536.. the 170536 connects to the ignition system and can log the rpm, so you get a log of the air fuel ratio at the relevant rpm.. the air fuel meter appears to work ok, but the rpm unit 170536 will not work at all..

·
Registered
9,523 Posts
do you have a .pdf file of the instructions by chance? Did you hook it up to the negative side of the coil already? If you did you may have fried it.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
procrew,, i did connect it to the coil on the advise of the fast tech, but it made no difference at all in the way it acted. it was on there for a very short time and was disconnected after a couple of minutes. i first connected it to the tach term on the 7530 but when that did not work i sought advise from fast. i have spoken to fast 3 times so far and been promised a call back, but i dont hold out much hope as i am in london, england

·
Registered
9,523 Posts
In just reading the instructions you posted I would try and flash the unit again. Maybe one simple step was accidently overlooked or misinterpreted and it isnt functioning properly.

I would also not hook it up to the negative side of the coil again. It says it comes with a hookup for MSD ignitions, did you in fact receive that adapter?

I would start there and see what happens.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Any word?

I also have the 170402, which is no good by itself for the track. I am looking into getting the 170536 to add on.

Are you looking to view the data WITHOUT a laptop? That is what I want to do. Please let me know.

Thanks

BTW, who had the best price on it??

·
Registered
746 Posts
OK, I just installed the 170536, RPM module. Everything installed easy.

However, at idle, I'm still reading 21.0 on both sides. No matter what I do to the idle mixture, still 21.0. I tried another carb, still 21.0.

Any ideas?

Someone mentioned that the sensors may be mounted too far to the end of the header collector (mounted at 3 o'clock)??????

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
OK, I just installed the 170536, RPM module. Everything installed easy.

However, at idle, I'm still reading 21.0 on both sides. No matter what I do to the idle mixture, still 21.0. I tried another carb, still 21.0.

Any ideas?

Someone mentioned that the sensors may be mounted too far to the end of the header collector (mounted at 3 o'clock)??????
I had bungs in each header tube and the collectors,read just like yours.Sent mine back this week I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
468 Posts
If you are running open headers you will read that lean at idle.... try blocking the exhaust a touch and see if the readings fatten up a bit..... Most of the time this is common on open header applications.

·
Registered
746 Posts
If you are running open headers you will read that lean at idle.... try blocking the exhaust a touch and see if the readings fatten up a bit..... Most of the time this is common on open header applications.
I put a rag over the collector for as long as I could (HOT), the readings did not change.

·
Registered
9,523 Posts
I put a rag over the collector for as long as I could (HOT), the readings did not change.
If it is an open header car you will never get it to work at idle. Either put a 4 ft length of pipe on it to read it at idle or just run it. When it leaves the line it will work.

·
Registered
746 Posts
If it is an open header car you will never get it to work at idle. Either put a 4 ft length of pipe on it to read it at idle or just run it. When it leaves the line it will work.
OK, I'll try it on the track on Sunday and log the runs. I'll let you know. Thanks.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I logged the runs yesterday. I was getting readings. However, the logger is still fast when it plays back at 1/4 speed. I don't like it. In order for me to view it properly, I will need to download it to a computer.

That was the whole idea of buying this setup, so I wouldn't need to do all that.

This setup is more suited for a street car, where you can watch it at any time. I have no time in an 8 sec car to look over and see what it reads.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts